Removing emulsion from wall before tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I have a recently plastered wall which has a couple of coats of dulux matt on it. This wall now has a bath on it and so I will be tiling parts of this wall.

My question - is there another way of removing emulsion paint from the wall without having to sand it off. I could sand it off in an hour or two but that creates so much mess - so Im hoping you guys know of some other way perhaps with some kind of solution??

Any advise would be appreciated - many thanks

DIYTrainee :D

Sponsored Links
I'd leave it alone...if its stable, then the tiles will stick well. If its flaking, sand the loose edges down, and give it the once over with PVA solution.
John :)

It depends on how well the paint is adhering.....personally I've had no problems with this but if you are concerned, scratch the surface with the trowel edge to provide a key.

Sponsored Links
If you really want to remove it use a paint stripper. Not nitromors though, it works but is nasty stuff.

Brewers stock an environmentally friendly one which I can't remember the name of but works very well and there are no noxious fumes.

Otherwise as has been said if the paint has adhered well then its fine to tile over. Stick some sticky tape over a section (masking tape will do). Leave for a few moments and then peel off. If the paint stays intact tile over, if it comes away you will have to remove it. I have tiled over paint and they tiles are still stuck on two years later.

Never mind the emulsion...if you take the tiles off in the future they often take half the bloody wall as well :p

I'd leave it alone...if its stable, then the tiles will stick well. If its flaking, sand the loose edges down, and give it the once over with PVA solution.

How do ya know its stable???.......

Eh.... :rolleyes:

Oh bumboy......love the advice about a pva solution......ffs...... :rolleyes:

cue the usual 'whats wrong with pva, i've been using it for years' stuff

Hi John, pretty much all the addy manufacturers not specifically state that pva shouldn't be used. The polymers in the new adhesives don't like it.

I know it used to be THE stuff to prime everything, and i used to sell buckets of it but have seen enough failures now to realise that the manufacturers are saying it for a reason. Should always be an acrylic primer now.

Its a bit of a common subject on forum threads, lots who have been in the trade for a while still suggest PVA and then go down the 'its never done me any harm guv' route

Thats a very useful post - much appreciated and thank you!
I've certainly been down the 'does no harm' route.....but no more.

the manufacturers tell you to leave bare plaster for minimum 6 weeks before tiling. How many sites & schedules stop for 6 weeks because of a tile manufacturers recommendation?

I personally score the emulsion and PVA. Let it go off and tile. I guarantee all my work and have not had any callbacks although technically your supposed to remove all the emulsion, technically due to manufactueres recommendations. Ive never seen this spoke of on any M40 spec i've seen. I dare say that the plaster manufacturers don't recommend plastering on painted artex ceilings but how many ceilings go from artex to flat nowdays and are not striped back to bare/reboarded?

At the end of the day the scientists who make the product say this to cover their arses.

Go for it the grout will lock it all in and you will be fine. My heavy porcelain tiles on my wall at home are still up after 6 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back