Removing mouldy old bath sealent and replacing tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Got a mouldy old plastic bath seal to remove...underneath some older silicone which also needs removing!...pics attached.
Any tips for firstly removing the old stuff...and then on cleaning it all and tiles to restore...before then replacing is using just sealent better or are these plastic seals any good?

also for a novice is this job do-able in a day?
any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
I think it would be best to remove those quadrant tiles and possibly replace them with new.....silicone is a devil to remove - I usually go for a sharp blade - the genuine silicone sealer solvent does work to a degree but often leaves a gooey mess.
Not the easiest task!
John :)

thanks for reply...
was hoping to chisel or cut away old seal and silicone and really clean up tiles etc with vinegar and bleach...then use meths to cleanse....then start resealing process! but maybe im being to hopeful of any easy ish job!

cut off as mush old sealant as possible then use the little blocks of floristry foam to remove the tiny bits. Use to do that for aircraft fuel tanks so it should work on baths

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The quadrant tilee are probably hiding a poorly fitted bath so if you remove you may be faced with refitting the bath or using a flexi bath seal to cover, not ideal though.Use a grout removal tool on the tiles and regrout.

quality tips cheers! will get onto it next week...think i'l try cleaning up and removing then deep cleaning tiles and bath..then re-do seals

want to avoid removing tiles if poss!will get sharp blade ready some bleach and vinegar and meths to clean and some quality sealent from screwfix i reckon this weekend! may post pic if it turns out well!

m - consider using a snap-off blade knife ... these are great for slicing through the silicone 'cos the blade, if extended way out, is flexible so you can get it really flat against bath/wall tiles. You can't get knives with more 'solid' blades, like a Stanley knife, flat (your knuckles are in the way) so there's a danger of scratching bath/wall tiles; these knives are OK for 'picking' the more difficult bits. Get a tile grout file/cutter for cleaning-out that manky stuff between the tiles. Oh, and if you try to ease-off the quadrant tiles place a thin timber packing strip below any tool you use ... this'll help to reduce/stop damage to tiles when introducing some gentle levering.

If you have to re-introduce the quadrants set them with silicone not tile adhesive but stay clear of those yukky plakka strips as they'll look dirty and horrible in no time.

UPDATE!
Need some advice started stripping old sealent away today...turned out underneath the large plastic sealer was more silicone some damp mould and another plastic smaller sealer going along the long tile side and behind the taps...getting this off has proved hard work as i discovered its sealed behind the bottom tiles. Anyway i attach pics....got some of it away then half way down long side a tile broke....then some more have now come away unbroken only the bottom half piece tiles, so now i need some advice:

do - i remove the bottom row of tiles entirely? and do a new version of this process with plastic sealer homelux thing that tile sits on
or - remove tiles and then just replace tiles and seal with silicone only and get rid of homelux plastic.
other than that silicones comin away ok and i think its goibng to clean up quite well just tried a bit of cleaning....but any tips appreciated!!!

Think im gonna have to remove bottom half tiles now..and replace. Rest of tiles are fine and just need good scrub up..i will crack on scrappin old atuff away.and cleaning and hope to get new tiles cut ad put in asap so i can seal it...so much for quick job oh well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back