Removing old doorbell help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Currently renovating my flat and about to get a new fusebox / front foor installed.....

There is an old door bell wired up which i am going to remove. I have started doing so and want to get rid of it while I do my redecorating.

I attach a few pics to show whats left of the box. It's 1.5V. Goes up to the black box shown in pic3.

Am I safe enough to simply cut it off and tape up the end of the wires for now?

My new fusebox will be installed in a couple of weeks time.

Thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
The bell is attached to a transformer that is powered from the mains supply.
It is 8volts, not 1.5volts.
The transformer is the brown box above your fuseboard.

The best method would be to remove the wires from the 8volt side of the transformer (at the bottom with the two white wires). Otherwise a short on the wires when you redecorate could mullah the tranny.

Get your electrician to reconnect when he does the consumer unit.

Are you sure that the circuit is dead and have you tested it?

Looks as if the transformer still has at least one cable going into the consumer unit.

The best option would be remove the cable from the consumer unit but that would involve opening it up - it might be best to wait until the electrician comes to fit your new unit.

its more likely 8 to 12 volt if it comes from the transformer, is there a way to turn off the transformer before you cut the wires.

You may be best to isolate the transformer and disconnect the white output wires at the transformer first.

Sponsored Links
Forgive me, I don't understand any of this. Electrics are not my thing in the slightest....

The bell still works, it was attached to the wall yesterday. I removed the front cover and unscrewed it from the wall to paint behind it.

I am not going to be reconnecting it.

I guess i'll just leave it to the electrician. The transformer will be going too, along with old fuse box.

Was just checking if there was a simple way to remove the bell and casing for now as it's pretty unsightly and getting in my way.

Thanks for your help folks :)

Out of interest, you wont find any modern wireless doorbells that come close to those old chimers in terms of reliability. I hate the synthesized sound of those. Would always have a 2-tone chimer, or a bell. Cant go wrong with them, especially when transformer powered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back