Removing paint from metal garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a strong enough chemical to get this paint off?

IMG_20220514_170705.jpg IMG_20220514_170727.jpg

I get the feeling that your usual high-street stuff won't work for this.

What would be the easiest method? Should I buy a heat gun?

I wish I could just sand it down but I don't think it will look good after I've painted it because the existing paint feels quite thick and as you can see, there's a fair bit of peeling. I have a palm sander but would that be useful?

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
Just to throw another question in, I'm sure using a chemical paint stripper will still require scraping and sanding parts down, therefore, can anyone say how this would compare using a heat gun?

Would a heat gun do the job just as well? Has anyone had any experience removing paint from metal? I don't have one but if it's going to be not much harder than using chemicals then maybe I'd do well to invest in one instead?

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
That's a lot of paint to remove. Most of it looks pretty sound.

Can't you use two pack filler to feather it out?

The paint stripper recommended is the old school stuff, be aware that it is methyl chloride (carcinogenic)- that said, I still use but wear an AEBK charcoal filter mask when working with it (and yes... I am aware that some of the fumes are absorbed via my eyes/skin).

You need to be careful that you do not damage the galvanised finish. It will rust if you do.

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately the most effective paint stripper is also the nastiest stuff! I had assumed Nitromors was easily going to the job since it was very effective the last time I used it, however, that was many moons ago and since then I've just learnt the active chemical in their product was banned due to the health issues which made their product along with others pretty much useless compared to how good it used to be before the ban.

Your 'two pack filler' suggestion seems promising instead, what sort do you mean? Can you recommend any product? I don't have much experience with this other than wood filling.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately the most effective paint stripper is also the nastiest stuff! I had assumed Nitromors was easily going to the job since it was very effective the last time I used it, however, that was many moons ago and since then I've just learnt the active chemical in their product was banned due to the health issues which made their product along with others pretty much useless compared to how good it used to be before the ban.

Your 'two pack filler' suggestion seems promising instead, what sort do you mean? Can you recommend any product? I don't have much experience with this other than wood filling.

Thanks again.

I normally purchase the 3.5L tubs of Easy 1 but you don't need anywhere near that much, a small tin of the Ronseal stuff from a DIY store should suffice (but works out much much more expensive per litre/Kg)

eg https://www.screwfix.com/p/ronseal-high-performance-wood-filler-white-550g/45077

For what it is worth the above is nearly 7 times more expensive than the stuff I buy in bigger containers from eBay.

Two years ago I attempted to use the MODERN Nitromors on a similar garage door, and NOTHING happened.

I tried it on the two bottom horizontal strips, in case it was a disaster.

Ended up sanding it, feathering it, priming the bare bits. Looks fine.

Fourteen years ago I used the older Nitromors on a different but similar again garage door, and the paint came off a treat in massive chunks.

I suspect those days have gone.

Whatever you do, use the correct primer on bare metal - or you risk it peeling off.

Two years ago I attempted to use the MODERN Nitromors on a similar garage door, and NOTHING happened.

I tried it on the two bottom horizontal strips, in case it was a disaster.

Ended up sanding it, feathering it, priming the bare bits. Looks fine.

Fourteen years ago I used the older Nitromors on a different but similar again garage door, and the paint came off a treat in massive chunks.

I suspect those days have gone.

Whatever you do, use the correct primer on bare metal - or you risk it peeling off.

The old school paint stripper is still available but it is supposed to be trade only and is only supposed to be sold in mins of 5L.

If you search for methyl chloride stripper you will find place on ebay that will sell smaller quantities.

It was banned from sale to the general public because MC is a carcinogen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back