Removing PVC Mullion End caps that are glued

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone can provide advice on how I would remove a mullion end caps (eurocell chamfered 70mm) from my existing upvc French doors ? They seem to be glued on with no mechanical fixings and need to replace one as the outside lip has cracked.
Is the only way to grind and chisel it out (carefully) or is there another way ?

Thank you in advance (I am out of warranty BTW and it already broke when under warranty before the outside lips feel very flimsy and thinking even if its worth replacing it as its bound to happen again and again...)

Its one of these

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The outside flaps on any mullion end cap is flimsy. I sometimes just use a stiff scraper, one we use for removing beads and a mallet and just bash up or down on the lip whichever one your replacing, get most of it off and then just bash in the internal pegs(the ones that'll be superglued) down into the hollow profile then get a file and file the end of the mullion flat. However IF i have time I remove the complete mullion and lay it in my mitre saw and slice the complete end cap off but not encroaching onto the mullion though a millimetre won't hurt

Thanks mate, yh it’s the bottom one and thinking I can glue the crack in that flimsy bit, all that effort and it’s gonna happen again and again, plastic in winter is just too brittle and now days everything is built to fail rather than last..,it’s not causing any problems with cold or anything just noticed it the other day when cleaning windows.
But cannot think how it could happen the door it’s on never gets opened or closed (left door) the other door (right door is constantly in use…
Only thing I can think is occasionally my kids might slam that door closed enough to shock the other door enough for that lip to bend back a bit on itself and crack (in the brittle cold) or simply it got opened one day and the bottom lip got caught on something and bent back…

It’s a horizontal crack right along when it meets with the frame and it’s not come off yet

Sponsored Links
They'll crack at the slightest knock especially when old and brittle, you've already done the hard part by identifying the profile, removing the old one is the easy bit, bit fiddly but a cup of tea and a bit of patience and you'll get it done

I done this in the end, tiny bit of glue and it’s sorted

Attachments

• IMG_1463.jpeg
    IMG_1463.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 28

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back