Removing section of load bearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to remove a section of a load bearing wall roughly 1.8m in length and install an RSJ. I would however like to have this flush ie no boxing on the ceiling. This wouldn’t be too difficult however the wall supports joists on both sides making a flush installation a bit more difficult. Is there a method to this type of installation? Any assistance is muchly appreciated, thanks

Sponsored Links
You would need to remove a section of skirting board in the rooms above and thread 'needles' through and onto the exiting joists. You then prop these needles and joists from below. You can then remove the wall below along with a slice off the ends of the joists. Enough to allow the steel to pass.

You then fill the web of the steel/s with a pair of timbers bolted through then offer the steel up. You then wrap jiffy hangers around the joist ends and fix to your timber in-fill. We try and be cute and add a layer of mortar onto the top of the flange so that it squeezes into place as it presses against the recipient bricks. Once set remove the needles and make good.

I would get a structural engineer to spec what you want to do. Maybe two L's bolted together with notched joists might achieve the result you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back