Removing side lights and switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to remove these lights and switches.

initially, I thought I could remove cabling between lights and switches and blank the switches.

But can I remove more cable so I can removes the switches too?

There are on a power circuit so I expect they are wired to the socket on the left.

IMG_0082.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
When I turn off the breaker for the power sockets, it cuts power to the lights. Can’t see a fused spur anywhere.
Ok.

Switch off the main switch and remove the socket and post a picture of the wiring.

Is it obvious that a cable is supplying the switches and lights?

If it's not the OP's, I hope the owner of the underwear was consulted before the photo was posted

Ok, little mistake. They are on the ground light circuit. Room is on the first floor. Pictures of cables attached.

Assume I need to raise floorboards to see how they connect?

Let me know if this is the next step and I will do.

Thanks for help so far.

Assume I need to raise floorboards to see how they connect?

Let me know if this is the next step and I will do.

Thanks for help so far.
That would seem to be the next logical step if the cables come from below the flooring.

That would seem to be the next logical step if the cables come from below the flooring.
You may find the additional cable in the ceiling light below there and it may look different to the originals.

That would seem to be the next logical step if the cables come from below the flooring

Have lifted a floor board. Cables seem to go through a joist so not sure how light switch connects.
Do I need to try and access from the other side of the wall?
Do I try and do this at wall level or floor level?

IMG_0114.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpeg
    IMG_0115.jpeg
    504.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0116.jpeg
    IMG_0116.jpeg
    322.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0117.jpeg
    IMG_0117.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 33
I suspect those cables under that floorboard are not the ones supplying switches. Lift more floorboards to the right hand side.
Have you now stripped out the cables from switches to light fittings ?

Did you look at the light fitting below that room, in other words the light under the ceiling?

Personally I would have started there before struggling with carpet and floorboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back