Removing tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to remove a tree (no legal restrictions) which is only about 7/8 meters high. The tree is by the pavement. Two questions:
- Am I entitled to divert the traffic in case the tree goes the wrong way? It's only a quiet village road. The tree should fall into my property.
- Will the local recycling centre take it if I cut it in smaller pieces?

Ta

Sponsored Links
If it were me I'd take it down bit by bit, thus giving more control. Take off all the branches then chop it down in sections.

The whole tim--berrrr affect can be costly if it goes wrong.

The local tip should also take the branches etc maybe not the trunk, but it's always worth checking there's no-one in the village who wants it for a woodburner etc.

Gob's :)

You should read your insurance documents. It is unlikely you will have any cover for tree damage if it is you who are doing the cutting. You could get insurance, but it would be cheaper to employ a professional..

The local authority will have to be informed if you want the road closed, they will probably then set up traffic control.

Nothing is easy any more, but the legal bills will compnsate by being large.

if you are going to bring the tree down, a professional will bring it down in small managable sections, that will be roped down to minimsie the risk. The days of bringing it down from the base are pretty much gone apart from forestry work

Sponsored Links
If it were me I'd take it down bit by bit, thus giving more control. Take off all the branches then chop it down in sections.

The whole tim--berrrr affect can be costly if it goes wrong.

The local tip should also take the branches etc maybe not the trunk, but it's always worth checking there's no-one in the village who wants it for a woodburner etc.

Gob's :)

That's true. I could take the branches to the recycle centre and offer the trunk for wood stoves.

I do not think it's worth hiring a "tree surgeon" (what next, tree anaesthetist?), they will probably charge me the same as for a poplar tree. The trunk is only 20cm in diameter. I have help, like pulling the tree with a rope away from the road.

as i said, bring it down in small managable sections.

tree removed by cutting it in bits with a hand saw, no probs

thanks for the feed-back

What did you do with the wood left?
You can offer it on your local Freegle group and there will be loads of people that will come and take it away for their fires.

Save you a trip & hassle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back