Repair a Load-bearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.

I'm considering buying a 1930's terraced house which has had some of the load-bearing wall between the lounge and the dining room removed to display a fishtank. The tank measures around 4ft wide by 1.5ft tall. The tank does not appear to be integral to the wall so I assume that an RSJ has been used to maintain the structural integrity.

Fish not being my cup of tea I would look to take the tank out and fill the hole.

Is this case of replacing brick work or could I simply fill with studwork and replaster the wall?

Should the current homeowner have had this work approved by the Building Inspector?

Many thanks in advance,

Rich
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Should the current homeowner have had this work approved by the Building Inspector?
Oh im sure he did.. :rolleyes: .. or probably in the real world didnt bother

Just infill with whatever is easiest for you, blockwork gives a more solid wall, stud is quicker and easier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back