repairing paperless face of plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So the stringer of my stairs was buried in a wonky plasterboard wall, and I want to put quadrant molding on top of it. I decided to sand back the dot and dabbed wall through the skim and paper face of the plasterboard by 5mm total, then put expanding foam into the gaps by the stringer and through a couple of small holes I drilled in the face, and then I painted the face of the exposed board with Gardz, applied mesh tape all over it, then skimmed with easifill . The area is 7 inches high in the corner and goes to zero over 3ft of the stringer. I know the correct way is to replace the board, but there is a waterproof membrane behind the board and I'm not sure if there are adequate fixing points to put dab onto unless I replaced a large area. Is my method going to work ok?

Attachments

• IMG_3890.jpeg
    IMG_3890.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3892.jpeg
    IMG_3892.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
Yeah probably.
I've done similar.
The surface mesh gives back strength.
Trouble happens if board starts to crumble when taking off surface but looks like you avoided that

Yeah probably.
I've done similar.
The surface mesh gives back strength.
Trouble happens if board starts to crumble when taking off surface but looks like you avoided that
I sanded it back pretty cleanly with an orbital sander. it feels solid, I guess the test comes when I bash it or kick it accidentally. I'm wondering if I should put another layer of Gardz or BIN over the easifill before painting?

Sponsored Links
As I read it, the original gardz was to seal the sanded plasterboard.
Yes, I would paint some gardz over the easifill :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back