Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently removed loads of chimney breast from the ground and first floor in my property. On the first floor and in the loft, the breast wasn't tied into the party wall so it was very easy to remove. Downstairs the breast was tied in to the random rubble wall and removing it was a nightmare. Now I am left with a very tricky wall to repair and I have been scratching my arse for weeks trying to figure out how I'm going to make it good. I don't want to remove any more of the stone because it is getting dangerously close to the neighbours side of the party wall. I also want to avoid building a stud wall in front of it and hiding it all that way. Worth mentioning that at the bottom, the central brick work is 150mm back from the plasterboard either side, at the top its 100mm. The rubble varies hugely and is truly all over the place. Not sure if you can properly see in the pics but its chaos. My ideas so far:

- Build a stud frame attached to the brick work in the middle section, screw some 18mm ply onto the studs to help span as much of the rubble wall as possible, before plaster boarding over the ply and glueing onto the remaining rubble with the sticky expanding foam.
- Repair the rubble wall as best as possible with broken bricks and morter, then build up layers of render until smooth to stick the pboard to.
- Build frame in the centre and then use metal lath to float over the stone which would then be rendered/plastered over.

None of these methods are exciting me. I am a carpenter and capable of quite a lot but this has (almost) got me beat. Thought I would reach out to the collective brain to see if we can, together, make good my crazy wall.

Attachments

• Wall 1.jpeg
    Wall 1.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Wall2.jpeg
    Wall2.jpeg
    393.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Wall3.jpeg
    Wall3.jpeg
    368.2 KB · Views: 85
  • Wall4.jpeg
    Wall4.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 86
Sponsored Links
bond cement board to the lower sections with pb adhesive . dub the hollows out with sand /cement. eml over and render.

bond cement board to the lower sections with pb adhesive . dub the hollows out with sand /cement. eml over and render.
Can you then plaster directly on cement board?
On the side where it says "tiling this side"?
If so, do you need to prime it first?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back