Replace mains smoke alarm.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

I've got what look like new smoke alarms in the house and one in the kitchen which looks ancient / rank. Obvious attached.

New - fine
IMG_20220102_133931.jpg

Rank / kitchen
IMG_20220102_133948.jpg

Could someone point me to a replacement for the kitchen please?

Thanks
C

Sponsored Links
Both of those are ancient bases with slightly newer devices shoved on the top.
The kitchen one is well over 20 years old, the BRK may only be 5 or so years, but could easily be older. There should be a label on it with the date.

If they are linked together (as they should be), it's replace all of them.

I don't know - I assumed as they are mains (installed c.1999).
Should the test function trigger all?

Sponsored Links
Replace both Aico units and you can do away with the surface back plates ….

Sorry, don't follow.

I've just tested them and the newer ones work on the test function - and trigger the others - but the manky kitchen one does not work!

This means I *must* replace at least this one.

Your life to risk …..they have a 10 year replace date for a reason ….if you think your life or your family’s is not worth £40-50 then leave it ….

I'm assuming you have dectectors in upstairs landing/downstairs hall and kitchen?

All existing dectectors look past their best, as someone else said you'd be best swapping all out for Aico, you want A heat in the kitchen, an optical in the downstairs hallway, and generally most recommend an opitical for the landing, although if its close to the bathroom and steam could be an issue then you may consider an ionisation type instead.

The budget option (with 9v backup battery that needs changing every few years) is the EI140RC series. Ei146 for optical, Ei144 heat, Ei141 for ionisation, they come with the correct bases.

The other option is the 3000 series that has a 10 year backup battery thats good for the life of the device. Ei3016 optical, Ei3014 heat, thers also the Ei3024 multisensor

In rented properties you need to go for the 10year battery backup option, but if owner occupied then you are free to choose the 9v battery option if you wish

Thanks all. Very good help and advice. I'll pick them out and confirm tomorrow.

I assume swapping them is easy for a competent DIY person?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back