Replace old extractor fan - no permenant live - options

Sponsored Links
Echo - I was thinking that too, but I had no frame of reference to compare. It feels solidly built though. I was suprised that the fan was metal when I first took it out. After it cleaned up so well, it was part of the reason why I decided to just keep it as is.

Out of interest, on the third picture from the bottom, which shows the wiring terminal block on the interior of the casing, what would the white wire from the motor be?

It has no corresponding input wire connected to the block.

I can see the red to brown, black to blue, the bare earth cable connects to a fourth terminal just out of picture (I assume to another earth from the motor).

So what is the white cable from the motor for?

The fan and housing were full of dust.
Most of which was dead skin.

Cleaned the fan and popped it back in. It runs as good as new and probably shifts a lot more air now.
Don't let it get so clogged again.

If you're married, warn your wife that we have voted to move to Ukipitopia, where she will officially be termed a slut if she doesn't clean that properly.

The Best of Classic Ban.

most centrifugal fans were built like that and soldier on for years, and the designs barely changed, just more modern covers.
nu aire would probarly know the air flow, or look at newer similar models or other makes, like manrose 100mm centrifugal, as there far more powerful than 100mm axial fans, hence they cost a lot more, ones selling on ebay usually state airflow, to give you an idea..
You often brought seperate control modules, like timers and humidistats that plugged inside the box and they may have involved the white wire, again nu aire may be able to answer that

Sponsored Links
Sent off an email to Nuaire.

They were really good and had a search though their archives (initially they could not find the model number) and dusted off the installation and wiring guide for this actual model!

The first one shows the air extraction rate and wiring guide.

I am not sure why air resistance decreases as volume extracted increases. I would, given a constant speed, and air pressure in the room, have thought that this would be a constant. Anywaym if it gets up to around 115m3/hr, this is pretty good and much higher than expected. Even the lowest figure of 68m3/hr is good enough really.

The wiring diagram and the last page seems to suggest the white cable is for a time delay modual which was proabably an option at the time.

Last edited:
I am not sure why air resistance decreases as volume extracted increases.

It's the other way around; as air resistance decreases, i.e. as the length of the duct between the fan and the outside world decreases, the volume per unit time increases.

I get it..

So i assume that the time from the lowest extraction amount 68m3/hr to the highest 115m3/hr is actually a small amount of time. So once at full speed after a minute or so should it hover around the maxium extraction rate...assuming ideal working conditions?

No.

As the length of the duct increases, the extraction rate decreases.

Of course, the more ducting..... the more resistence, got it.

I was making the mistake of think the graph was over time.....

So the resisitance in the graph, as you said in your first post, is the resitance of the ducting to the outside world. The fan therefore operates with an m3/hr in relation to the resistance of said ducting.

Am I therefore correct in assuming that as it is the top floor flat with a flat roof, and the extractor is at ceiling level; as there is a tiny distance between the extractor and the outlet, resitance should be low.

All the bathrooms are in line and have a shared ventilation shaft. Ours being at the top. So the extractor of the bottom flat would perform worse compared to a top floor flat.

Last edited:
I know, I think it was because the blurb above was talking about 30 min time delay operation to fully comply with regs. That is why I asked the question, as I knew I had interpreted it wrong.

All the bathrooms are in line and have a shared ventilation shaft. Ours being at the top. So the extractor of the bottom flat would perform worse compared to a top floor flat.

Yes. As it hppens I live in exactly such a ground floor flat, and I've just replaced my extractor with one that is quite similar to yours - but entirely plastic.

And? I mis-read the graph. I mis-understood it, I mis-interpreted it. What point are you trying to prove? I have not tried to deny the error.

I probably glanced the graph and thought it had a time componant to it, I do not know. So regardless, it was a mistake, is that so terrible?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back