Replace old wc with new close coupled wc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The old wc (ground floor) is an S trap going through the concrete floor into cast iron spigot.

I want to replace with a close coupled wc. Do they supply S trap close couple ones or do multiquicks have an assortment of adaptors to fit most situations.

My worry is that the measurement of the existing cast iron drain will not let the new close coupled cistern go back to the wall.

Any tips for doing this much appreciated. :confused:

Sponsored Links
still can get s traps I think

but why bother when MultiKwik make so many different pan connectors

u should be apples matey

:)

tryitandsee said:
My worry is that the measurement of the existing cast iron drain will not let the new close coupled cistern go back to the wall.

Any tips for doing this much appreciated. :confused:

I had this problem recently , forget trying to find a wc with the same trap .

I tried all connotations of flexible connectors and nothing would work , i ended up biting the bullet , digging an area of drain up and repositioning it close to the wall .

Took about 2 hours max , prior to that I had spent days on research and making my mind up on what to do.

Yep, I'm at the 'days spent researching the thing'.

It's always my luck when I do these jobs, that something wont fit by some small margin. and no amount of pulling or shoving will make any difference (or silicone) and I wish I hadn't started the job in the first place. :)

Sponsored Links
I had exactly your problem tryitandsee.

I found out that I just could not get a toilet with an 'S' trap, so I gave up trying.

I've ended up getting a normal 'P' trap toilet off ebay which will push against the wall and allow enough space for a 90 degree pan connector which will go into the floor, or maybe you could use a swan neck pan connector (I don't have room for one of them as my waste pipe is too close to the wall).

It took a while to find one suitable but I'm hoping it will work (got the plumber coming next week ...at last :rolleyes: )

Here is the toilet I finally found:

7e_1.jpg

Nice eh :) ?

can you post a pic of the back view showing the outlet?

And the side with dimensions?

ta.

Amanda

Just the job, :) It looks like it would swallow up the eventual 'connecter' and get back to the wall.

Gives me a better idea of what to look for, thanks.

JohnD said:
can you post a pic of the back view showing the outlet?

And the side with dimensions?

ta.

I can JohnD but I'll have to do it tomorrow cos at the mo it's all wrapped up in its box and I'm wrapped up in bed :LOL:

Robert too if you dug out the pipe in the floor to take pan back to wall did you have to reinstate a type of damp proof when reconcreteing ! just curious . cheers

howy1 said:
Robert too if you dug out the pipe in the floor to take pan back to wall did you have to reinstate a type of damp proof when reconcreteing ! just curious . cheers

I did come across an excuse for a dpm , but as soon as i broke through the screed , most of what i came across was just backfill / pea shingle ,, which i replaced untill the last 150mm or so .

I did make an attempt to turn the existing polythene up , but it is on raised ground and in no danger .

amandaclegg said:
I had exactly your problem tryitandsee.

I found out that I just could not get a toilet with an 'S' trap, so I gave up trying.

I've ended up getting a normal 'P' trap toilet off ebay which will push against the wall and allow enough space for a 90 degree pan connector which will go into the floor,

If howy is trying to replace a typical late seventies contract pan , that cistern will lave a gap of about 125mm back to the wall .

No connectors will get into the typical floor outlet

Right here is the back of my new loo: - didn't want to risk putting my back out lifting it out the box.

BackofLoo.jpg

:oops: Bit out of focus soz!

There is 18cm of space from the end of the waste to the back of the pan which will butt up to the wall. There will in fact be gaps down the side cos they do not butt to the wall as they taper.

The centre of the waste is approx 20cm high. This ought to give a 90 degree pan connector enough room to fit behind.

I bloomin hope so :confused:

I can't visualise where the soil pipe connector will go. Will it turn downwards? It looks like there is a section of the fireclay moulding directly underneath it which will obstruct it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back