1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Replace two blockwork partywall with stud on first floor.

Discussion in 'Building' started by Gio I, 6 Apr 2020.

1. Gio I

Gio I

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I`m in the middle of renovation and new thing come out.

I have removed the old architrave of my upstair bathroom and small bedroom to find out that the door opening is very low and also the lintel is not properly installed and that was the reason of a visible crack on the wall. Also the door opening is close to the wall not allowing any architrave. I have attached photos for refreence.

My dilemma is. is it worth to start playing around this 70mm blockwork to move the structure opening and install new lintel or just demolish and install a new strong wood stud wall with maybe some extra noggin or plywood?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Alastairreid

Alastairreid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Doesn't look like there is any lintel there.
    As far as I can make out the blockwork was supported off the door frame, removing the rest of blocks and installing stud work would be the easiest option.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Gio I

Gio I

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A dog would have done a better job to be completely honest with you.

I don`t think wall this has any structure input but based on your experience would like someone to share their experience on these case and be sure can remove these blockwork and replace with stud wall.

5. Presume you mean partition wall ,not party wall, but why would you want to remove the whole wall rather than just fill in above the door opening :?:

6. Gio I

Gio I

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Because look like more work on installing the lintel plus moving the opening 150mm to the right side as at moment there is no room for an architrave. Also not easy to find a 70mm blockwork and re hard plastering and skimming on it.

I thought was easy to remove dead load from a wood beam and use wood stud.

Last edited: 7 Apr 2020
  7. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No.

Demolish the masonry wall and re-build a new stud wall.

8. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That wall won't be worth a w**k by the time he has bashed a new opening into it.

We have strengthened these masonry partition walls in the past by dabbing plasterboard either side, but no point here, what with the new doorway and all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gio I

Gio I

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I don`t think this wall is supporting any thing and the stud would still help to strengths the roof joist. As I`m not that good to play around with masonry and this only make a mess. I believe the new stud would be the best solution.

As this is a bathroom partition. Would you agreed for a 4x2 stud with cement board on the bathroom side?

As I`m building a new bathroom. can I board the external side and leave the cement board out till plumber done the job or the opposite way?

As the plasterboard will be facing a plaster wall. would this make any issue when doing the other wall plastering as wet product would be involved?

Apologize for stupid question but just trying to do not mess around or build in a wrong sequence

Thanks

10. Sponsored Links
  11. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Whenever we build a stud wall, we only ever board one side until first fix is complete. I'd be more inclined to furnish the wet side with boards/panels/cement board, then your plumber can do all of his cut-outs rather than you faff about with them.

We would however makes sure that both sides of the wall are fixed before doing any tiling or skimming.

12. Gio I

Gio I

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Make sense what your`re saying. As I have also board the ceiling. Would you board ceiling first and wall later? or opposite way?

13. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    How would you pack the stud wall to deaden noise transmission?

14. Gio I

Gio I

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What do you suggest to use to deaden the noise?

15. Alastairreid

Alastairreid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Rock wool.

16. I obviously hadn't understood what was being proposed here particularly the opening being moved, but it looks like the query has been answered now.

17. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Always start with the ceiling.

Sponsored Links