Replaced ball cock valve now pipes are noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My loft tank ball valve started leaking, so I replaced it with a like for like part from screwfix but it was whistling like crazy. I assumed it may have been faulty or just substandard so brought a more expensive part. The whilstling from the valve has gone, but now the pipes from the main stop cock make a horrendous racket!
It’s definitely the same gauge and a high pressure part. The isolator valve and all other isolators are turned back on fully. As the tank nears full it quietens off, I’m presuming as the valve starts restricting the flow. Any ideas, I’ve changed nothing else.

Sponsored Links
Is it a continuous noise, or like tapping?

Continuous and it’s through the pipes particularly downstairs. Put the old valve back on and no problem noise goes

Sponsored Links
Could be a faulty valve. As per flameport, what part? Was it like for like?

I think the screwfix one was definitely faulty, but I replace with a slightly more expensive one and although the whistling at the valve has gone, the noise through the cold water pipes remains as if it’s being restricted.
The screwfix part was a high pressure 2 part flomasta ball valve.

Does the old one come out the same flow rate/force as the new one?

Try a Fluidmaster (side entry) ballvalve. If it comes with a flow restrictor, fit it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back