Replacing 30 year old uPVC windows, worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’ve recently moved into a 100+ years old terraced with large uPVC windows. Most of the sealed units have blown and misted up so need replacing. However the hinges, handles and locks are all also a bit knackered. So even when closed there are gaps at the tops of the openers where draught comes through. The windows are all externally beaded and I’m told by multiple tradesmen that they are probably about 30 years old.

I’ve had a quote to repair the windows, hinges and handles which is about half the price of just replacing the whole lot with brand new (both figures still quite a lot of money), however, I’m swaying towards biting the bullet and replacing.

I’m keen to understand whether I’m likely to see much of a difference in terms of heat retention and sound reduction with brand new uPVC vs old?

And also, are new uPVC likely to have much impact on the value of the property?

many thanks
Jordan

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Do nt accpet the first quote.
With uPVC window estimates, don't forget to negotiate the price down.

People thing plastic frames will last forever, but they still only have a 25-30 year life.

Mrs Mottie was only saying the other day about having our YPVC windows replaces as they are just over 20 years old now. I told her she was talking out of her arse!

@Mottie I'll be honest i've seen some great condition windows that are older. it depends on why you want to change them. All sealed units, hinges , handles etc can be upgraded , but if the frames themselves are ' grotty ' or damaged then not a lot can be dne other than replacement

@Mottie I'll be honest i've seen some great condition windows that are older. it depends on why you want to change them. All sealed units, hinges , handles etc can be upgraded , but if the frames themselves are ' grotty ' or damaged then not a lot can be dne other than replacement
I think ours are still in good Nick for something 20 years old.

BD3D4022-41C7-45B2-814D-5BCE55DE428D.jpeg

We do have one at the back of the house - one of the two small upper opening windows on the kitchen window that is slightly older that gets condensation in it and because of that she thinks the whole lot should be changed……

Last edited:

Ok so I there doesn’t appear to be any major damage to the frames themselves but they are definitely looking grotty. My main reason for replacing is that the high cost of repair feels like I’m throwing new money into old windows, potentially without getting the full benefits that come with brand new.

this is not our ‘forever’ home but we have not long moved in and I’m thinking just get them done now and enjoy the most time with them. Then when we come to sell in 4-5 years, the house will at best add to the value of the house and at worst, not detract from it. I would hate to stick it out with these windows only for a buyer to try and haggle me down for not replacing them when we eventually come to sell.

I think ours are still in good Nick for something 20 years old.

View attachment 241412

We do have one at the back of the house - one of the two small upper opening windows on the kitchen window that is slightly older that gets condensation in it and because of that she thinks the whole lot should be changed……

they look much more modern then mine!

Attachments

• 3660B87C-5F19-4014-AF29-276875D0468A.jpeg
    3660B87C-5F19-4014-AF29-276875D0468A.jpeg
    425.6 KB · Views: 168
@Mottie they look in pretty good condition to me , just get the unit changed out the back lol

@Crediblehippo , i can see you point , if there are a lot to repair then yes , sometimes it worth ' biting the bullet ', especially if they look grotty. What benefits are you expecting from new windows ? Yes heat retention will be marginally better ( just remember all these heat saving calculations that are thrown around are usually based on single glazed vs modern double glazed, I'd be surprised if anyone of us would ever notice much difference in our energy bills after new double glazing ...unless your windows are artrocious lol ) , sound insulation ...unlikely to be any noticeable difference between new and fully repaired old. Downside is potential damage to render/plaster ..so if youve just painted the place...

@Mottie they look in pretty good condition to me , just get the unit changed out the back lol

@Crediblehippo , i can see you point , if there are a lot to repair then yes , sometimes it worth ' biting the bullet ', especially if they look grotty. What benefits are you expecting from new windows ? Yes heat retention will be marginally better ( just remember all these heat saving calculations that are thrown around are usually based on single glazed vs modern double glazed, I'd be surprised if anyone of us would ever notice much difference in our energy bills after new double glazing ...unless your windows are artrocious lol ) , sound insulation ...unlikely to be any noticeable difference between new and fully repaired old. Downside is potential damage to render/plaster ..so if youve just painted the place...

It is most windows in the house to be honest. Two bays (3 windows each) and front and back bedrooms which are large openers.

yes I was hoping the sound and heat retention would be noticeable given that the seal would be much tighter with new windows (current ones you can stick your finger round the edges). And I’m told the new glazed units are much better insulated given the argon gas (current is just air?)

maybe I’ve been reading too much double glazing sales waffle!

I'l tell you now ...in five years time you won't have argon gas in them lol.

If you have gaps you can get your fingers in , then the hinges have had it ..not unusual at all. and yes new windows will make a noticeable difference against them in their current state. You could always just change the hinges and upgrade the glass to energy efficient sealed units ( diamant glass /warm edge spacer bar/argon/planitherm ) . The only other difference in reality , once broken hinges handles and seals are replaced would be the actual frame, and how many ' cells ' its divided into internally, most old were 3 , then 5 and now some are 7. Then it would all come down to the actual fitting....

The decision is entirely yours at the end of the day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back