Replacing a ceiling light light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm just in the stages of replacing a ceiling light and have seen there is only 2 cores running to the light from the switch. The light is metallic, do I need to have an earth or will or be OK with out it.

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
If there is an earth terminal connecting the metalwork then no, you can't use it (safely) without an earth.
Does it say class 1 on it?

Thanks for the reply.

There is a earth in the new light that is from the metal work into the choc block. The light has a transformer in it as it runs about 16 small halogen bulbs.

I have had a look on the transformer and can't see class 1 anywhere.

Thanks
Mark

Check the incoming cables, it could be that the earth was cut back within the sheath. This can be extended but you would need to confirm continuity of this back to the fuse board, as it is likely if one has been snipped all the others have been. If no earth or continuity, then unless you can offer a continuous earth to the fitting, you must not install it, as by your description it requires this protection.

Sponsored Links
What kind of wiring do you have?

If by some slim chance the cores are run in metal circular conduit, there is a chance this is the earth.

Very rare for a domestic dwelling to have metal conduit, I should point out, though common in older flats and council houses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back