Replacing a ceiling rose with a downlighter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question - does this work fall within Part P?

And is it acceptable to transfer the wiring from the ceiling rose into a suitable junction box (5A or 20A) in the ceiling void which will then feed the downlighter?

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
It's outside part P, but it does need to be accessable.

The norm is to replace the rose with choc box and connectors, that should then reside inside the cup element of the lamp fitting or be placed in the ceiling in such away that it can be pulled out for inspection when the lamp fitting is removed.

See wiki for terminations- look at UK electric- lights

Part P applies to all domestic electrical work.
Whether it is notifiable depends on where this light is. Will it be in a kitchen or bathroom?

Unless the room is tiny, replacing a ceiling rose with a single downlighter will make the room rather dark.

Sponsored Links
Quick question - does this work fall within Part P?
You know it does:
This is Part P:

34245971.jpg

And is it acceptable to transfer the wiring from the ceiling rose into a suitable junction box (5A or 20A) in the ceiling void which will then feed the downlighter?
Err......
I'm absolutely aware of the need for an electrician to be fully involved with this project.

:confused:

Ban All Sheds

Bloody Hell - do you read every thread! :D

This isn't for my house at all. A friend from work has got a ceiling rose with light hanging down in the hallway of her flat.

I've not seen it but apparently it's so close to the front door that the door catches it every time it's opened.

She bought a downlight a while ago and asked if I knew anyone who could fit it.

So, I thought I would check to see whether I am ok to fit this myself since it's not in a notifiable zone like the kitchen and is simply replacing one type of light fitting with another.

But I still wanted to check the best way of doing it.

Happy with my justification

As for my own project- still trying to find a local electrician

Steve

Vetinary, make sure you have the correct IP rating if this is going into a flat. Fire retardation needs to be considered. Sorry i know thats not the right word but you know what i mean.

It would be a lot easier if she got a low-profile surface light fitting.
Something like this
That could go in the same location as the pendant.
The door surely does not go right up to the ceiling!

Thanks guys

I found the piece about fire retardation in the Wiki - I am going to tell her it's beyond my remit if she wants a downlighter, but show her the other suggestion, which I certainly could do

Cheers

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back