Replacing a curtain pole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I fitted a curtain pole some months back and it's just decided to fall down! The curtains are very heavy, and when I was drilling the wall (it's a 1930s house, so solid brick, I believe) I could not get far enough in each time to use the correct screw, so cheated and used a smaller one at one end.

My question is, without having to move the other holes, is there anything I can use to (a) fill the hole that has been left by the rawlplug pulling out, and (b) drill into the same space and get a solid support?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
no point.

fillit in to drill it out, why fill it in?

get a new sharp masonary drill bit, use a hammer drill and make the holes deeper.

check for small pieces of metal on new bit, if there is you have just hit an rsj, hopefully you won't though

get an offcut of wood, cut it down into a long thin piece that will fit in the hole (just bigger than the hole) drive it in with a hammer and you will be able to fix into it.

but that will be of little use, since the op already said the hole is too shallow

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies so far.

Sorry, I probably didn't make it clear, the hole left by the rawlplug is a little wider than the rawlplug was as it has broken some of the edges away, so I can't re-use the hole without filling it first.

Thanks

Chris.

you can if you make it deeper.

your drill the hole deeper, push the raw plug to the back of the hole (put a screw on it and tap it in) then use a longer screw to hold your pole.

i think you've hit the concrete or steel lintel. Raise the pole a bit and try again. Otherwise you may need an SDS drill or HSS bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back