Replacing a dimmable kitchen light that had 9 wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After falling for the common mistake of putting all the black wires together I followed this to the letter:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:blackswlive
I replaced the dimmer switch with an old normal switch and it now works but the other ceiling lights that I presume were on the same loop still will not turn on.

Any ideas on what to do?
And if I bought a new dimmer switch for the original kitchen light will it work again??

Thanking you kindly..... :oops:

Sponsored Links
Are the other lights that don't work on different switches or did they used to turn on with the original light?

the kitchen ceiling light was the one that i replaced and now the upstairs hall light and 3 bedroom lights won't switch on. They are all on the same fuse I believe

Sponsored Links
Have you connected all of the red wires together and to nothing else?
The two blacks together with the N for the light?
Have you also checked the connections are nice and tight? Did you identify the switched live (black with a red stripe) with a multimeter? Is this now connected to the L for the light and to nothing else?

The three reds are all together and have insulation tape around them. The black wire with a red band around it has been put in the L terminal and the remaining 2 blacks in the N terminal. They're screwed in as tight as we could get them and the light now works (last time it failed when we turned it off and never came back again). I changed the dimmer switch to a normal one to make sure it worked as well. All seemed fine then went to turn the lights on upstairs and nothing.

are the 3 reds just taped up, or in a terminal block & then taped up

mdbalson- yes the 3 reds are in a connector and taped up

securespark - apparently so. The house has some strange set ups and that's one of them. The loft and hallway are on one fuse, the dining room and lounge on the ground floor are on one floor but the kitchen light is on the same one as the upstairs bedrooms.

Do you have rewirable fuses? Can you check them with a multimeter to confirm the fuse wire hasn't blown / snapped?

open up the three red make sure they are all secure and none have snapped off or gone down the side of the connector block. do the same with the two neutrals

Would that not affect the actual light the wires are in though (in this case the kitchen light) as that is working - it's just the other lights which are on the same fuse that aren't??
I'll certainly go and check though

no if the kitchen is the first and other lights are after this then if the live or neutral is loose they wont work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back