Replacing an old CU with a new one

Building regulations are an act, so you are not breaking the law. I would suggest you contact your LABC. You pay the fee and someone will inspect 1st and 2nd fix, then test. You're free to do the all the work yourself that way, but beware you'll have to pay for reinspection if something is wrong.

Sponsored Links
Building regulations are an act, so you are not breaking the law. I would suggest you contact your LABC. You pay the fee and someone will inspect 1st and 2nd fix, then test. You're free to do the all the work yourself that way, but beware you'll have to pay for reinspection if something is wrong.

Thank you aptsys

I will speak with my inspector who is doing the building work inspection to see if he has anyone who can do the testing and ... without me having to inform the LABC. He may have already done it as part of the notification for the extension.

On another note, do you know how much the LABC charge for that?

Here is a quote from 'ElectricalSafety.org':

What if I don’t use a registered electrician?

If you use an installer who is not a registered competent person, he or she must notify the registered third-party certifier within five (5) days of completing the work. The registered third-party certifier will then, subject to the results of the inspection and testing being satisfactory, complete either an Electrical Installation Condition Report (based on the model shown in BS 7671) or one that has been specifically developed for the purposes of Part P and give it to the person ordering the work.

That is incorrect.

If you use an unregistered electrician or do it yourself, it is up to YOU to notify the Building Control OR a third party inspector before you start the work.

Why do you keep asking questions?
Just go away and do what you want. We don't care what you do but have told you the required way of doing it.

Sponsored Links
EFLI - it is abundantly clear that Naz is one of those people who decided before he came here what he was going to do, and was never prepared to listen to anything which did not fit in with that.

Notice how he quoted a passage about using a registered 3rd-party certifier and then pretended that it applied to him not using one?

Notice how he seized on that unbelievably stupid nonsense from aptsys about the Building Regulations being an Act, and that therefore contravening them wasn't breaking the law?

He keeps asking questions because he still hasn't had the answers he wants.

I'm torn between pulling out from this thread, because as BAS has suggested, Naz is determined to go ahead with this ****e or bust, and all we're doing is helping him go down a very uncertain path. On the other hand, I'm a bit staggered at the leccy suggesting he use RCBOs everywhere if he wants them, using one on the boiler, and putting the garage through the main CU on it's own MCB.

Naw, I'm pulling out, but I'll keep observing.

Thank you aptsys

I will speak with my inspector who is doing the building work inspection to see if he has anyone who can do the testing and ... without me having to inform the LABC. He may have already done it as part of the notification for the extension.

On another note, do you know how much the LABC charge for that?

In my area it was £275+VAT. It'll be on the planning section of your council website

I've read plenty of unbelievably stupid nonsense here over the years.

Congratulations on making at least the Top 10.
No nonsense. It's an act, so it can only have the force of law when agreed to. (maxim of law). It's only a law if there is agreement of the parties or a contract. You can go to court but can't be arrested etc. Same as not paying TV licence or speeding.

Didn't you do notifiable work on your outside lights all those years ago without certification?

It's an act, so it can only have the force of law when agreed to. (maxim of law). It's only a law if there is agreement of the parties or a contract.
Total rubbish. I suggest you read up on primary and secondary legislation.

Either way, he isn't going to prison for changing his CU
That would be impressive!
Last I checked, the official bad stuff of diy cu changes were
1 a possible 1k fine if they find out
2 might be harder to sell your house
3 you might have unsafe electric

Personally I'm significantly more concerned about number 3.

I've never heard of a BCO-police raid, where they get a warrant to break down your door and inspect your home wiring.

Does it happen often?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back