Replacing Ceiling Pendant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am currently trying to replace the pendants in a 1930's house. They all look like:

I cannot for the life of me figure out how they should be removed. I have tried to run a knife around the edges in case they're just screwed in place and had been painted "shut" but no luck.
I don't want to keep them so I will consider destructive removal but I am worried about what that will do to the ceiling?

Does anyone recognise this type of fitting and have any suggestions about removal?

Thanks,
Anthony

Sponsored Links
That appears to be the one, I'll try that this evening. I was trying to unscrew the second part that is screwed to the ceiling...

How will the final part be fixed to the ceiling do you think? Or is it just held in by the middle bit?

Amusing to see that this is listed in an electrical "museum" site!

Thank you for the quick response.

Those are right little bar stewards, espaecially if they have beenpainted over a few times through the decades.

TTC's solution

turn off the power at the MAIN SWITCH

put on goggles

remove the item from the ceiling using this precision tool

Sponsored Links
Before you start taking all the pendants down, you should check to see what your wiring is like.

Clearly it's old.

There may not be an earth present.

Or it could even be rubber cable that will need replacing.

If either or both of the above, it will be over-due for replacement - especially if it's rubber.

Try the old trick of knocking the rose cover with the handle of your screwdriver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back