replacing existing downlights to bathroom

Thanks,
So based on the regulations it appears that 6 out of the 7 downlights are in zone 3, the only downlight in zone 2 is above the shower cubicle.
The author in that link suggests a minimum IP44 in bathrooms despite the fact that zone 3 does not require them to be, that's fair enough I suppose.

In terms of fire rating, I'm browsing part b.
This is the only section I can find that relates to lighting.

Is a downlight classified as a diffuser ???

partbv1.jpg

Sponsored Links
There is no zone 3 any more.
There is no zone 2 round wash hand basins anymore.
I gave you my link because it was at least up to date. Much on the web is old or wrong.

ignore the diffuser thing you found. It has nothing to do with your down lights and will only confuse you further.

go and buy seven fire-rated down lights of at least IP44. Ones that will go in the existing holes.
Simples

There is no zone 3 any more.
There is no zone 2 round wash hand basins anymore.
I gave you my link because it was at least up to date. Much on the web is old or wrong.

ignore the diffuser thing you found. It has nothing to do with your down lights and will only confuse you further.

go and buy seven fire-rated down lights of at least IP44. Ones that will go in the existing holes.
Simples

Just fitted the first one.
Chose the F600 Luceco IP65 as it had good ratings and the bevel is 90mm which covers everything nicely. Not much in the way of IP44.
Screwfix didn't have enough in stock so I bought just the one and put the rest on order.
Not come across a transformer just yet. Once I pull the lights down I'll make a diagram and post it up here if I encounter anything I'm not clear about.
P.s. I note that a requirement for these lights is that they be placed on a circuit with RCD protection and luckily enough the lighting circuit already is.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
I'm a tad confused because this light was not earthed... and I thought metal casings should be earthed?
Should this not have been picked up on the EICR?

I've connected up the new LED with earth, and will do that for all the rest.

What do the instructions say? Is there an earth connection on that 240v downlight? If so then it must be earthed. If it is a double insulated (class II) fitting it must NOT be earthed.
it will probably have a sign like this on it.
Does it work, by the way?

Last edited:
What do the instructions say? Is there an earth connection on that 240v downlight? If so then it must be earthed. If it is a double insulated (class II) fitting it must NOT be earthed.
it will probably have a sign like this on it.
Does it work, by the way?

Oh ok gotcha.
So the existing lights are double insulated and don't need earth.
The new lights are not double insulated and will need it.

Looks nice.
And brighter than the 50w halogen:

IMG_20200920_170809509.jpg

Sorted all. Thanks a lot everyone.
Lights were all 240v so it was a straight swap. No transformers

There never was a Zone 2 around sinks such as in the diagram. I believe it was "invented" by a light fitting manufacturer's organisation.

upload_2020-9-24_12-59-22.png

They also say

"All circuits in a bathroom should be protected by a 30ma RCD (Residual Circuit Device). Although this is now common practice and is a requirement of Part P of the Building Regulations it is worth double checking especially in older buildings."

However, there is only one Requirement in Part P (it is requirement P1) and it does not mention RCDs or bathrooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back