Replacing Halogens with LED's

Sponsored Links
We inherited the set up, we are looking at removing some of the lights to put a more "intimate" pendant light up above the dinner table and kitchen island on storage switches so would probably do without the dimmer.

No ban all sheds, as earlier mentioned we inherited the set up but will be reducing the lights, only by a couple. But think that is irrelevant in terms of the question for the thread as it is more a question of how to replace the halogen lights with LEDs.

We inherited the set up, we are looking at removing some of the lights to put a more "intimate" pendant light up above the dinner table and kitchen island on storage switches so would probably do without the dimmer.

No ban all sheds, as earlier mentioned we inherited the set up but will be reducing the lights, only by a couple.
My apologies - I missed that. :oops:

Not being reduced by many, though.

Excellent, cheers. Two questions.....

1) what is t&e?

2) is it not best to get fire rated ones? Then again I imagine the heat led ones project is a lot less than halogen so no need?

Edit: the one you suggested, is that really it?? As in, literally wire that in and can put the gu10 led bulb in?? Obviously without a dimmer etc.

Personally I would not bother with fire rated unless it's needed, (block of flats, 5 story house etc). As Ban all Sheds has stated, the LED lamps do not like to be repeatedly warmed up and cooled down. Using the open fittings would allow more air movement around the lamp. They would probably last much longer.

Yes, that is it. Wire it in, fit lamp, loose the dimmer and job done. This is of course assuming the CPC I can see in your original picture is actually connected at the other end. I would probably perform a basic continuity check before I relied upon it.

Sponsored Links
No problem ban all sheds, easily missed in all my ramblings!!

Greased monkey - OK you have convinced me on the fire rated ones, no need!! Obliged.

Google gives me differing explanations of CPC, what is it exactly?

Convinced the other half so all good to go, provably do it this weekend on half the lights. Question is what bulbs! Think chri5 said £10 a bulb which seems about right from what I've seen but then it'll be working out the light color that suits us. Thinking buy one of each of the main ones (3 possibles I can see in my research) and see what we like best.

And no EFLImpudence, that is fine, thank you.

My advice would be let the other half choose the bulbs.
I got a warm white and a cool white to try. Just cheapies from eBay as they didn't have to last more than an hour. The wife opted for the warm white, which are still much whiter than the halogens ever were.

In the end I got all of the lamps for £3.99 each as special offer from local homebase.

One downside is the bathroom floor is cold now, the halogens used to work much better as underfloor heating for the room above than as lighting for the room below.

Cheers Greased monkey! Had heard the argument about the heating, but as i read somewhere it's an expensive way to heat! Maybe I need more rugs down to take the chill off! Cheers again

I like the lamp of an LED to look nice.

If might sound sad but I loath multi LED lamps. They cheapen the look.

These look rubbish

oocivy1336968515931.jpg

These look much nicer
LTGU7W.JPG

Back again! Just a query, the lights suggested (the ones from screw fix) are smaller in diameter than my current one. They will still fit but I'm not sure if I'll get a ring of light round it as mentioned on other threads about smaller lights in bigger holes.

So.... Would it be safe/ OK to just remove one of the current down lighters leaving the others wired in, change the dimmer to a switch and then see what the one new led light looks like?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back