Replacing Hive with Nest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Need some advice in replacing my Hive system with Nest. I had a look in the other threads about this subject on here but have been somewhat confused because my Hive configuration seems different to any of the photos previously posted.

My system has a water tank so I was expecting to find a Hive box with dual channel wiring as described but this is not the case as (1 & 2 are not wired). Additionally I have a British Gas Wireless receiver with a single connection.

Can anyone help with how I need to rewire these into Nest?

Many thanks in advance.

Rob

Attachments

• Hive.jpg
    Hive.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 282
  • WR1.jpg
    WR1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 291
Sponsored Links
Your Hive receiver below is wired as I would expect. Terminal 3 controls the hot water, and terminal 4 the central heating. That's all you need. [Not all heating systems use terminal 1 and hardly any at all use 2. If they are not used now you don't need to worry about them]

Hive.JPG

So the wires simply move from the Hive terminals to the Nest terminals that have exactly the same function. N & L are self explanatory, but the other terminals have slightly different designations:

The wire presently in Hive terminal (3) hot water on, goes to the Nest terminal (6) hot water call for heat
The wire presently in Hive terminal (4) heating on, goes to the Nest terminal (3) central heating call for heat

The Heat link also requires terminal (L) linking to the two 'common' terminals (2) and (5) [The Hive has these links made internally]

Finally you can connect the Nest thermostat to the Heat link terminals T1 & T2 to provide it with power, or alternatively use a separate plug in power supply for it.

This is a poor attempt to by-pass the thermostat receiver that was in use before the Hive was installed.

Capture 1.JPG

The two wires shown, need to remain connected together, but I suggest you tidy it up a bit and improve their connection. They don't have to be connected to the wireless receiver it's just being used as a junction box. Or, better still, find the origin of that cable, remove the orange and grey wires, and then link together the terminals where they have just been removed from.

Many thanks for your response stem that's very clear. I suspected that 2nd box was a shoddy piece of work. Shocking it was British Gas who did this!

Thanks again.

Rob

Sponsored Links
Shocking it was British Gas who did this!
Unfortunately that's not the first time that's been said about a BG installation, I suspect that they use contractors, which is not an issue if they are competent contractors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back