replacing insulation on a conductor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently replaced some sockets in my house, in doing so I have come across bare stranded earth conductors which I have now placed sleeve over is this normal and safe to have a bare earth conductor?

Also on one of the sockets I have noticed a small nik in the live conductor. I can not create enough slack on the cable, to re-terminate past the nik. Can the nik be covered by Self extinguishing insulation sleeve BS2848-3?

Tanks

Sponsored Links
Earth - common enough to find these with no insulation, usually due to people not bothering to do the job properly. Not dangerous, but does increase the risk of the bare wire contacting live parts on the back of the socket.

Sleeving will be fine to cover the damaged insulation, provided the wire itself isn't damaged.

Sponsored Links
Could be a rewire I guess although don't have the money for this at this stage, although the circuit is RCD protected from a safety perspective.

Not always, that cable can be high quality, what it depends on really is how well it was initially installed and are any heating pipes running over/under/next too it and cooking it.

A periodic inspection report will highlight any non compliances from current regulations, you can then get a quote from this for remedial works.

If your car was going to cost £1000 - £2500 to get it through the MOT, would you drive it without one?

hard to say, prices seem to vary widely from area to area, ring around, get some quotes, you will soon see what the ball park should be. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back