when does cable need replacing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the signs that a re-wire is needed?

I have been replacing sockets as I have been decorating. Is there anything I should be looking out for that indicates trouble?

Most of the cables use twin uninsulated earth conductors without sleeves behind the sockets. Does this suggest they might need replacing?

Sponsored Links
I have been replacing sockets as I have been decorating. Is there anything I should be looking out for that indicates trouble?
Cables with rubber insulation
Cables with damaged insulation
Cables with signs of overheating
Undersized cables
Wrong polarity
Cables concealed in walls but not in acceptable zones
Cables not 50mm or more below the surface of a floor
Cables too close to hot pipes
More than 1 socket on unfused spurs
No grommets on metal backboxes

Most of the cables use twin uninsulated earth conductors without sleeves behind the sockets. Does this suggest they might need replacing?
No, it just suggests that someone lazy & careless installed them. Put sleeving on, and also run flyleads to the backboxes, if they are metal.

thats a sign that someone incompetent has installed them, i would advise you to maybe consider getting a PIR (periodic inspection report) on your electrical installation to ensure it is safe.

Not incompetent. Sleeving on earth conductors was not a requirement a few decades ago.

I expect that the earth conductor is stranded, is that right?

The earth conductor must now be sleeved with green&yellow sleeving.

Sponsored Links
I expect that the earth conductor is stranded, is that right?
Yes, that is what I meant by twin conductors (one on each side of the cable). They have been loosely twisted together. Standard sleeving does not fit over both conductors. Should I sleeve each conductor separately?

The boxes are not earthed (except through the face screws). Should I try to keep to the same diameter as the existing earth wires? The new sockets have 2 earth connectors. Can I join the ring earth in one and earth the box from the other?

PIR sounds sensible when I finish.

Yes, that is what I meant by twin conductors (one on each side of the cable). They have been loosely twisted together. Standard sleeving does not fit over both conductors. Should I sleeve each conductor separately?
Photos?

The boxes are not earthed (except through the face screws). Should I try to keep to the same diameter as the existing earth wires?
Yes.

The new sockets have 2 earth connectors. Can I join the ring earth in one and earth the box from the other?
Yes.

PIR sounds sensible when I finish.
As long as you won't mind all your decorating being destroyed if the PIR finds problems that need fixing, or a rewire needs doing, then leaving it until you've finished will be OK.

OTHOH......

not having rubber gromits on back boxes is not really an indication that a total rewire is needed either...

No - you're right - I meant to clarify that - classing it as the same as no cpc sleeving, just another indication of slack work having been done.

There is/was a view that if the outer insulation of PVC twin and earth entered a metal back box and the cables were fully in plaster and render (ie immoveable) then grommets were not necessary.

I do not share that view, but it has been bandied about.

I've heard that too, but would never lower my self to start installing like that. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back