Replacing interior door handles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I have 11 interior doors and I want to change all the handles.

My question is really about sizing - having shied away from all types of DIY I think I could do this one ;) but do I just simply order some from the Internet or do I have to be aware of sizing?

For example, the ones I have are fastened through the front plate with 4 screws in each corner - how will that work out with new handles? And also will new ones fit the opening mechanism?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
horrgakx, Hi

Replacing the handles is a relatively easy and straight forward procedure.

The existing handles will come of if you simply unscrew all 4 holes on each handle one any one door, you will find that there is a square bar that passes from handle to handle and obviously actuates the latch mechanism.

Your problem is that should you opt to fit a set of handles that are a different size to the metal plates actually attaching to the door, not the handles, but the oblong metal parts with the 4 Screws. If you try to fit a different shape of this component, the oblong metal part then, should your new handles be of a lesser dimensions, or indeed a circular plate then two potential problems arise.

1/. If the fixing plate with the screws is smaller than these fitted then the face of the door will have two potential problems, one, the screw holes from the existing plates will be visible, and difficult to obscure totally.

2/. Over the time that the existing plates with the screws have been fitted to the door, the plates will have in effect etched themselves on to the surface of the door, the constant usage of the handle and its associated tiny movements of the plate can cause the appearance of a, best described as a Ghost of where the original plate was fitted. Plus the colour on the door below the original plate will be different to the rest of the door, not having been exposed to light.

One wee bit of advice? if you do undertake a DIY job, then at all times put the square metal bar and at least one handle in your pocket, why? because if you inadvertently lock yourself in a room, the door slams closed with you in the room? then it is a bit of an embarrassment, but a flat bladed screwdriver will get you out of the room, how? a correctly dimensioned flat blade driver acts in the same way as the square bar??

Hope this assists??

Ken.

Thanks for that. I'll have a look around & see if the handles for sale mention about sizing of the plate.

Sponsored Links
Ken's advice above is spot on, but I'll add that if you simply make sure the 'oblong metal parts with the 4 screws' on your new handles are a bit bigger than your existing ones then they'll cover the old screw holes and any 'ghost' marks. You won't have any problems screwing them on since you'll be screwing into new bits on the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back