Replacing internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wall dividing my living room and hallway is a wooden frame/frosted glass wall for 3/4 of the length, then its a standard stud wall. Is it okay and straight forward enough for me to remove this old glass partition and replace with a standard stud wall? Its a bungalow if that makes a difference

Sponsored Links
So that's a full height glass wall for 3/4 the length of the wall with the remainder a full height stud wall? I assume it is not double glazed but from the 1960s/70s safety glass (or not as the case may be)?

Should be ok in principal, but difficult to say for sure without seeing it, but you can check if there is anything in the loft that is supported by the existing stud wall/framing before calling in a carpenter to do the job.

Blup

2FD61839-35B4-4343-A1D5-D340A752C88D.jpeg
Here is the offending wall. I want to take out all the glass walls, opening the hallway up and getting rid of the vestibule, & replace the wall/door on the left with a stud wall to continue on from the rest of it

Sponsored Links
That would normally be non load bearing and ok to remove. There would typically be some adventitious support of the ceiling joists so some minor cracking would be common but not a structural issue.

That's a nice classic 60's design btw. Shame to lose it but it's not too everyone's taste nowadays.

I think someone once posted on here when they discovered that a glass partition like that had been hidden simply by plasterboarding over each side.... Not a totally crazy idea.

Otherwise, if you get any of the glass out intact, see if any of the neighbours would like it as spares!

Finally starting to measure up & plan doing this wall. Can I assume that the existing part of the stud wall that will remain, will have been made by 4 x 2 frame & 12.5mm plasterboard? Im just thinking of when I come to put up the new plasterboard that it will be flush with the existing piece once plastered. Also so I know what timber & plasterboar to by. Or would it be worth waiting until the glass wall has been removed to see what Im dealing with?

Started removing cornices and can now see the existing stud behind them. It looks like its approx 83mm studs and 9 or 10mm plasterboard. Does this sound right as its hard to see a proper measurement at the moment, and I’d like to get the timber ready before I dismantle the existing wall?

Looks a bit dark in their already, are you planning to put in a door to the living room, glass or solid door?

Best to just get on with it and get a proper measurement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back