Replacing my boiler... recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's just it - it's such a simple job you really can't get it wrong. That's why it's a cheap job.

Partially agreed. Anyone can throw a boiler at the wall and connect some pipes to it without it leaking.

The reality is how long will that boiler last compared with the same boiler installed, setup correctly, correctly chosen for the job etc

Just as long.

Sponsored Links
I am happy for people to install cheap boilers for cheap.

I make way more money putting bad jobs right and fixing s***te boilers down to s***te installs.

So a Gas Safe fitter is a useless tradesman then? I thought you guys were top gun? Apparently not (according to you).

How do you get that from what I said?

I would rather do repairs, more money in it for easier work if you know how to do it.

Btw your comment about eBay feedback is ridiculas, feed back will be given within a few days, how many times will that boiler break, leak over the coming months/years

putting right those cheap jobs is becoming the new money earner for installers who know what they are doing...

pay cheap pay twice!

But they are highly trained Gas Safe approved. Aren't they?

What makes you think they are highly trained?

You could probably become gas safe registered and I imagine you spend most of your time throwing faeces at your cell wall

Sponsored Links

You could probably become gas safe registered and I imagine you spend most of your time throwing faeces at your cell wall

Oh dear. Why so abusive? Don't like the cheap competition eh? This is the future - get used to it.

putting right those cheap jobs is becoming the new money earner for installers who know what they are doing...

Indeed.

The dinosaurs remain idle if no-one spends anything. If the cheapskates are busy, we're busy too. The only difference is remedial work is more profitable than installs and without the warranty responsibilty that comes with selling a new appliance.

It's a one day job. Parts come to about 1K. How much labour does one add for a day's work?
The power flush will take at best half a day, with 2 guys working together in unison. I take most of a day for the flush.
I suggest you get British Gas in for a quote, to use as a yard stick. They will be the high end of the pricing, but their quote will include a power flush, and thermostatic radiator valves if you do not already have them. BG will do a high quality installation, and will of course try to sell you a maintenance contract at the same time.
So overall if you want high quality then BG will probably give it to you, but the price will be high. I find that my prices are commonly just over half what BG quotes. You can then get other quotes from local Gas Safe Registered installers. Make sure they bring their identity cards with them when they come to quote, and if they have 'left it at home' tell them to come back when they have found it, or you can look on the Gas Safe Register web site and check their photograph and ID.
Yes, the boiler and SOME parts will be about £1k, perhaps more for the highest quality boiler. Then there are additional parts that will add to the price. You should have a by-pass valve, water filter and possibly a scale reducer if you live in a hard water area. You can have weather compensation which will ultimately reduce the gas consumption but add to the initial cost. You may need a new room thermostat, and if so you can choose a wireless one you can take from room to room. Also you should have all the hot water pipes insulated. None of the above will be included in the cheap Ebay prices unless they say so in the advert. There are very cheap boilers available, but you only want one of those if you are selling your property and moving out within the month. 'Look, there's a shiny new boiler on the wall'. 'Oh, good, that settles it, we'll buy the place'. If you have a quick acting solicitor the boiler may just last until they move in. If you are staying there, you want a decent make. German and Dutch boilers are good, as are some British ones. Italian boilers are like Italian cars. They make loud noises, go wrong a lot and ....er... they do not come in Ferrari Red.
And no one, not ebay or British Gas, nor I, can give you a price without coming round to see the installation. The flue route might be tricky, which could easily add £500 or £1500 to the cost.
I hope that's helpful.

Indeed.

The dinosaurs remain idle if no-one spends anything. If the cheapskates are busy, we're busy too. The only difference is remedial work is more profitable than installs and without the warranty responsibilty that comes with selling a new appliance.

Nah - they come with a 7 year warranty.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

why do you boys allow yourselves to wound up by that unemployable troll?

I suggest you treat the idiot with the contempt he has trolled hard to earn :rolleyes:

Why are you butting in? :rolleyes:

Oh dear. Why so abusive? Don't like the cheap competition eh? This is the future - get used to it.

Are you not listening to me? I'm perfectly happy with the cheap "competion"(as u put it, I would class it as such). I don't want the jobs where people want cheap.
I don't like to work hard for little profit

It's a one day job. Parts come to about 1K. How much labour does one add for a day's work?
The power flush will take at best half a day, with 2 guys working together in unison. I take most of a day for the flush.
I suggest you get British Gas in for a quote, to use as a yard stick. They will be the high end of the pricing, but their quote will include a power flush, and thermostatic radiator valves if you do not already have them. BG will do a high quality installation, and will of course try to sell you a maintenance contract at the same time.
So overall if you want high quality then BG will probably give it to you, but the price will be high. I find that my prices are commonly just over half what BG quotes. You can then get other quotes from local Gas Safe Registered installers. Make sure they bring their identity cards with them when they come to quote, and if they have 'left it at home' tell them to come back when they have found it, or you can look on the Gas Safe Register web site and check their photograph and ID.
Yes, the boiler and SOME parts will be about £1k, perhaps more for the highest quality boiler. Then there are additional parts that will add to the price. You should have a by-pass valve, water filter and possibly a scale reducer if you live in a hard water area. You can have weather compensation which will ultimately reduce the gas consumption but add to the initial cost. You may need a new room thermostat, and if so you can choose a wireless one you can take from room to room. Also you should have all the hot water pipes insulated. None of the above will be included in the cheap Ebay prices unless they say so in the advert. There are very cheap boilers available, but you only want one of those if you are selling your property and moving out within the month. 'Look, there's a shiny new boiler on the wall'. 'Oh, good, that settles it, we'll buy the place'. If you have a quick acting solicitor the boiler may just last until they move in. If you are staying there, you want a decent make. German and Dutch boilers are good, as are some British ones. Italian boilers are like Italian cars. They make loud noises, go wrong a lot and ....er... they do not come in Ferrari Red.
And no one, not ebay or British Gas, nor I, can give you a price without coming round to see the installation. The flue route might be tricky, which could easily add £500 or £1500 to the cost.
I hope that's helpful.

If the boiler is a replacement you are hardly going to need a £1500 flue. You are joking aren't you? Maybe a bigger bore gas pipe at £20 per metre.
All the other stuff is covered by the Ebay fitters. The only difference between them and you is that you want a grand a day for connecting a few pipes up whereas they want £500. Still good money isn't it?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

why do you boys allow yourselves to wound up by that unemployable troll?

I suggest you treat the idiot with the contempt he has trolled hard to earn :rolleyes:

There's nothing on tv, and the mrs just keeps banging on about weddings, so I find this quite entertaining

Are you not listening to me? I'm perfectly happy with the cheap "competion"(as u put it, I would class it as such). I don't want the jobs where people want cheap.
I don't like to work hard for little profit

If you can get £1000 per day for connecteing a few pipes then good luck to you. There are more and more installers going for volume sales. All those Polish fitters getting into Gas Safe and all those squaddies retraining as gas fuitters. Get it while you can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back