replacing my thermal store and boiler…Help in specifying

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes i presume that BG will come back until its fixed, i have paid a small excess to get it fixed so surely unless its fixed i dont pay, simples!? i will wait a day or so to see what happens whether its a common problem or whether its as and when

The BG engineer to be fair to him was on the phone to gledhill who went thorugh a number of "to check" items... and he did what they said... he also mentioned that it was an easy system when you know how it works with some parts available.. all in all he spent 2.5 hours here and wanted to get to the bottom of it.. it seems such a simple fix however fault finding is taking time, He did mention that we could replace the heat exchanger if the previous faults didnt work?

I do agree that the system in principle has many benefits

Sponsored Links
So Ray, do you work in the heating trade?

Do you really have experience on any other stores apart from that one?

Yesterday I saw a Morris 1000 on the road.

Does that mean that all of them have lasted 60 years? Or could it have been a carefully preserved collector's car?

Ah a Morris 1000!! The memories are flooding back Tony, I lost my cherry in one you know??!! I think it cost me a five? Lovely girl, Senga from the Drum

Sponsored Links
There is no magical powers in a thermal store. Energy in = energy out - standing loss).

Anyone thinking a system mate was a good product is clearly clueless.

cw018666, I hope they fix it for you. Better than being the victim of a conman plumber.

bernardgreen, you gave a picture of an old tank and cylinder setup. That is like going from a proper, safe, economical real car with electronic management to a Morris 1000. I would not like to drive a Morris 1000 around fast roads and motorways all day. Dangerous.

Dan Robinson, what make the Systemate different is the total electronic control. It means minimal mechanical contraptions. It does it all for you. fire and forget. It is obvious in this thread many do not know the control logic of the pcb, not knowing what it does. It is the centre of the heating and hot water system. It calls in pumps and treats the boiler as another device to be switched in or out. A central Systemate pcb does it all. The lot. Heating had come into the electronic age. Unfortunately the plumbers never.

You are sort of right in "Energy in = energy out - standing loss". But taking advantage of stratification is where these thermal stores wins. If I recall, the Systemate uses the hot water pump as a 'shunt'. That is to take hot water from the cylinder's top and take to it the bottom storing more energy in the cylinder. Then when reduces the temperature of the top of the cylinder it then switches in the boiler to reheat the top again. Very clever indeed. The Systemate is very reliable as my mates shows and all those around him. I doubt you understand them by your comments.

Dan Robinson, He tells me they are all working around him. I believe him. There is not much to go wrong. A pcb, a few sensors and three pumps...and a plate heat exchanger than may need cleaning once every 10 years or so, depending on the type of water you have. You don't know how they work and your comments prove that.

bernardgreen, you gave a picture of an old tank and cylinder setup.
It is actually 5 years old, installed in May 2011 and working well, ( can even have a shower during a power cut ). That said there is room for some improvement in the design of the upper coil to reduce the volume of copper inside the tank ( hence more water storage volume ) and improve the flow of cooled water to the bottom of the cylinder ( possibly an external coil wrapped around the cylinder ),

Dan Robinson, He tells me they are all working around him. I believe him. There is not much to go wrong. A pcb, a few sensors and three pumps...and a plate heat exchanger than may need cleaning once every 10 years or so, depending on the type of water you have. You don't know how they work and your comments prove that.

C'mon Ray!! Three pumps??!! Not much to go wrong??!

Not at all. But you are using your vast experience of 1 appliance owned by someone else as a lynch pin of your entire argument, so.....

I would hardly call the truth an insult.

Next thing you know Ray Tay will be saying he used to work up by the airport in Blackpool.
When you actually look at it the system mate it was pretty much an overcomplicated worthless piece of junk. It only has one plus going for it, and that is legionella protection as there is no stored domestic hot water. The PCB does not control everything, it reacts to demands placed on it from user controls that go through the PCB. Are these super intelligent controls fitted NO they are just a standard 230v switch at the end of the day that can turn a pump on or motor a valve across without the use of a PCB, it's just something else to go wrong.
As for your comment on stratification, there was another very well known thermal store fitted in a lot of new builds that originally came with a stratification pump fitted at the bottom of the unit. It wasn't long before it was done away with.
At least with the boilermate your rads would heat up nice and quick plus due to the store acting as a buffer they could spec a boiler with a lower power rating thus saving some money or so it was claimed.

PullerGas, I was fascinated at his Systemate as I had never seen anything like it, and looked at how it worked. A superb idea. I clicked immediately that the whole heating and hot water system is controlled via a central pcb, the one in the Systemate. The thermostat, a simple boiler, remote timeclock and the three pumps are all wired into the controlling pcb. They are a doddle to install. You connect up the pipes like a combi. The wiring is simple. The heating coil inside the cylinder must be massive as you cannot put your hand on the hot pipe from the boiler but can grab the return pipe coming out the bottom of the coil with no burning of your hand. This dismisses your suggestion they are not suited for condensing boilers. The pcb keeps the hot water inside at 70 degrees. I recall the pcb was so smart it 'learns' the system and how long the boiler takes to reheat and adjusts to suit the time it brings in the boiler, and may drop the cylinder temperature further. Very clever and sensible. All thought out and done for you.

PullerGas, the three pumps are quality Grundfos. All my pumps have lasted around 15 years. On the Systemate in my mates place the original pumps are still working. He says a few around him have had the odd pump replaced, not many. He said the sensors tend to be the parts that fail more than any, there again once in a blue moon. The problem tend to be with the boilers rather than the Systemate. There is nothing in these things. As I wrote, three pumps, a pcb and about three temperature sensors. All is in the front of a big neat box easy and simple to get at. Look inside a complicated boiler and then inside a Systemate. I know what I would rather work inside.

In the 1990s it was highly advanced using electronic central control, the way forward. These days the boiler is the centre of the system, the wrong way around. It was a pity ignorant people and the Credit Crunch killed them. Other makers should do something similar.

gazdaz36, Overcomplicated? You have never looked inside one. There is nothing there. Look back in this post for an explanation. The pcb DOES act as the central control. All are wired into it: a simple boiler, room thermostat, clock, pumps, sensors. All. How more central do you want it? The Systemate's pcb uses the hot water plate pump also as a shunt, not a separate pump, very clever. The pcb decides when to shunt. The pcb varies the speed of the hot water pump to what the hot water temperature should be. Read what I wrote about the Systemate and what it does. I have been to Blackpool once. Nice tower.

Here it is inside. Three pumps and a plate heat exchanger a pcb (top left) and some sensors. There is nothing there !!!!

gledhill-boiler.jpg

Dan Robinson, you have argued nothing, and when proven wrong insult. Next I expect you will be telling us you have been a plumber for 20 years so you know it all.

Last edited:
bernardgreen, you have an old setup that needs one of those awful, noisy, leaky, power shower pumps to avoid running around the shower to get wet. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back