Replacing old consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to replace my old CU (see photo in my profile) with a split load RCD protected one. An electrician gave me a quote which seems high and I am considering doing the work myself. I called the supplier (EDF) who said that they do not fit isolator switches (as suggested on other threads - yes I have done a bit of research :) ). All they will do is temporarily suspend our supply. The catch is that in order to switch it back on, they want a certificate which I cannot supply if I do the work myself. Doing the work "live" is out of the question. What do you suggest? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
How much was the quote?
I start at £350 + any inherant faults that may be present on the installation to be corrected as extras.
But in answer to the question;
(1) pay a sparks to do the work & get the certs
(2) pull service fuse (not for the diyer & I wouldnt advocate you doing so)
(3) Hope the seal fairy visits just prior to you changing the cu ;)

Thanks comms. The quote was for 470 GBP, including running an Earth cable from the water supply, through the kitchen and to the MET.

Without the prior fitting of an isolator switch, I have no problem admitting that I am out of my depth. I'll try for more quotes but I am considering leaving as is, i.e. old fuse cartridges. Any thoughts on that? I may just replace the 15A cartridge fuse which used to supply the immersion heater but now merely supplies a light in the airing cupboard with a 5A equivalent. Can these still be easily found? Would appreciate a link to a suitable example available for purchase.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
thats not a bad price mate(without seeing it myself).

about right for the big smoke

I am going to guess that your old fusebox is a brown or cream Wylex standard.

if you post a few pics of your old fusebox, meter, suppliers incoming cable and cutout, and the cables between them including any green or green/yellow ones, we may be able to suggest things that need doing while you save up for a professional rewire.

Poor earthing and bonding is very common and is a DIY job.

Here it is:

Does it need to be replaced? Can I not just leave as is and replace the 15A fuse with a 5A equivalent? All it feeds is the one airing cupboard light (immersion heater long gone) and possibly in the near future a bathroom extractor fan. Are these old Wylex fuses still easy to source? Would appreciate a link. Also, would appreciate suggestions regarding supplementary and equipotential bonding bonding. There is currently no Earth cable between the incoming water pipes and the MET.

Thanks.[/img]

That fuse box is from a couple of "editions" of the wiring regs ago. There is no RCD protection. That box will do its job of protecting the circuits in your house, but it certainly wont stop anyone from getting electrocuted, should the worst happen. It is obselete.

You also probably have no mains equipotential bonding (yes, you could probably lash these in yourself but its only solving half the problem).

An upgrade is highly recommended. Make sure the electrician that does it is working to the 17th edition. Beware though, the wiring there is probably original to the house / that fuse box and tests could reveal nasties in the wiring that a modern consumer unit would not tolerate. Remedial work may be required.

(And yes, fuses are still available).

......meter, suppliers incoming cable and cutout, and the cables between them including any green or green/yellow ones, we may be able to suggest things that need doing while you save up for a professional rewire.

p.s. it doesn't look like a Wylex to me.

I should add that our place is a flat, not a house. The meters/seals/etc are downstairs in the adjacent block (to which I don't have a key BTW)

1. Can I fit one of these on my MEM fusebox? I'd like to replace the 15A with a 5A.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WYC5.html

2. If I wire a wall-mounted bathroom fan (non SELV) in zone 3 from this 5A fuse, does it need supplementary bonding? What about outside all zones? What about an SELV fan?

Thanks.

1) no.
Wylex is the most common, and there are lots of bits around for it. The comparable MEM you will be lucky to find fuses to fit. But have a look at http://www.thefusecompany.com/advan...memera+3&sid=6adb91de1986d30cf16ec6284bbb2fde as they have a tremendous range. Yours might be a Memera 3 series

2) All circuits entering a bathroom should be supplementary-bonded to all metallic services entering the bathroom, so the fan supply needs to be bonded wherever you put it. But SELV downstream of the transformer must not be earthed or bonded.

I would be extremely interested to know if you have a Green&Yellow earth cable coming into your flat with the supply cables.

Upgrading the Earthing and Bonding is very much worth doing and is an easy DIY job, especially with our help :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back