Replacing single socket with double - attaching box to wall.

It would be helpful if you could describe what was putting you off this job.
Ok well to be honest it’s several factors- mainly because of what Markyd1 was saying but also because I noticed that inside the socket there are two sets of wires and I read that you can’t change single to double if there are two sets of wires. Also the wires are too short to reach inside the surface box and I don’t want to pull them.

And finally Mrs SamH82 is a bit worried that I’ll electrocute myself and I don’t like worrying her!

Sponsored Links
Lets put some reality on this RCD nonsense:

How many type A RCD's are in use in the UK?

2% would be my guess and I suspect there are about 20% of homes without RCD's

So that makes about 78% of homes with type AC RCD's

Which is why manufacturers and dodgy sparks make out that 98% of homes need new RCD's.

Which is why I simply won't go along with this money making scheme for manufacturers

Sponsored Links
Ok well to be honest it’s several factors- mainly because of what Markyd1 was saying but also because I noticed that inside the socket there are two sets of wires and I read that you can’t change single to double if there are two sets of wires. Also the wires are too short to reach inside the surface box and I don’t want to pull them.

And finally Mrs SamH82 is a bit worried that I’ll electrocute myself and I don’t like worrying her!
If the cables are to short to reach to the terminals of the new sockets then pop to toolstation/screwfix and get some wago 221-413 connectors ( assuming you have some suitable t&e or equivant cable!)

If the cables are to short to reach to the terminals of the new sockets then pop to toolstation/screwfix and get some wago connectors ( assuming you have some suitable t&e or equivant cable!)
I’ve got Wagos. What diameter cable would I need in T&E?

Total and utter nonsense.

Who ever wrote this is not a spark or if they claim to be they are not competent
There is a precedent to this, Originally spurs off rings were permitted to include one double or 2 single sockets. Such arrangements are still found and the information does surface from time to time. As such people to hear such comments and not knowing the difference between circuit arrangements end up in this confused state.

Total and utter nonsense.

Who ever wrote this is not a spark or if they claim to be they are not competent
I think I misread the article. I went back and had a look at it and actually I think the author is saying that you can do this as long as the socket you’re replacing is in the ring main and not in a spur. I’m not sure I understand the procedure they’re talking about for testing this.

Here’s the article: https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/advice/how-to-swap-a-socket

Thanks but there’s a bit more to it than what Markyd1 said, although he has played a major part in my decision.
I would suggest that you probably should canvas a wider spectrum of 'professional opinions' before allowing his view to play a major part in your decision-making.

Kind Regards, John

I would suggest that you probably should canvas a wider spectrum of 'professional opinions' before allowing his view to play a major part in your decision-making.

Kind Regards, John
Thanks John. There are other factors at play here too. At the moment I’m leaning more towards wanting to get someone to come in and do the work for me.

I’ve got Wagos. What diameter cable would I need in T&E?

If you have 'two sets' of cable at the existing socket, 2x reds(or browns), 2x blacks (or blues), plue two earths, that simply means the socket is on a ring. Nothing complicated about it, the ring begins at the consumer unit, goes round/through all the sockets, then back to the consumer unit.

The ring should be wired in 2.5mm, you also need a short bit of 2.5mm T&E between Wagos and your new socket, plus a short bit of green/yellow sleeving for the earth. You should be able to scrounge those from any electrician, for free.

If you have 'two sets' of cable at the existing socket, 2x reds(or browns), 2x blacks (or blues), plue two earths, that simply means the socket is on a ring. Nothing complicated about it, the ring begins at the consumer unit, goes round/through all the sockets, then back to the consumer unit.
And there’s no way that socket could be the first on a spur then?

Why go to all that trouble and expense, in my study, I just use a four socket extension lead with surge protection.

And there’s no way that socket could be the first on a spur then?

It should not be. The socket spurred from, will have 3 sets of wires in. The spur will have one set. The easy way to check, is to look behind other sockets close to your proposed replacement.

It should not be. The socket spurred from, will have 3 sets of wires in. The spur will have one set. The easy way to check, is to look behind other sockets close to your proposed replacement.
Don't forget to include an old reg that a spur may include 2 single sockets which is where this confusion has arisen and of course there is the possibility it has not been wired correctly and could be multiple sockets on a spur.
However I'm playing devils advocate here, the chances of a socket with 2 cables being anything other than part of a correctly designed ring or radial circuit is thankfully quite small.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back