Replacing siphon in old high level cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I want to flush the toilet multiple pulls of the chain is required and it is getting worse over the past few months. I was told that I need a new siphon. But as I know nothing about plumbing I don't know if this is true either so please excuse my ignorance. I do know it is old, I am guessing 40-50 years old, may be older. Trying to remember when my father replaced it.

From reading around it appears I have a "well bottom" cistern and when I remove the lid I can see that the siphon has the name "Shire" on the top of it. On the side are the numbers 185.5 ½.

In two separate circles there are the numbers 10 and 58. I don't know what the numbers mean but thought they might help experts on this forum.

From this information is any one able to tell me what sort of siphon I need to buy please. I am hoping to get a jobbing handyman to replace it, if he says he is able, but I need to try and find a siphon and I am confused by the bewidering array and don't know where to to start.

Thanks for reading and hope someone can offer some advice please.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't be a big surprise if the 10 and 58 were the manufacture date...
As for the rest a pic or 3 would be useful. Do bear in mind when paying your handyman that you can buy a brand new close coupled toilet for less than £50....last old style cistern repair i looked at was going to cost £30 in parts alone, if you're paying labour as well.....

Sponsored Links
If you're not intending on carrying out the work, I'd recommend someone who has worked on these before, more likely a plumber. The reason being is, some of them have extra parts, like a reducer.

As Chris W says .... well bottom , it might be a special shaped diaphragm - use a piece of dpm plastic cut to shape . Used to use fertilizer bags on my Farm jobs ;)

Photos as suggested. Do these help with identification?
Siphon1.jpg
Siphon1.jpg
Siphon3.jpg
Siphon2.jpg

1. That's not old, its made of plastic.
2. The really good old ones had an inverted "bucket" made of cast iron in a sort of bell shape.
3. Pull the handle, chain pulls the lever, lever lifts the "bell".
4. Release handle, bell drops under its own weight, forces water into flush pipe, starts syphon. Syphon runs until air comes in.
5. No diaphragm's, simple and robust.
6. Anyone remember the "Original Burlington"?

Toolstation, two sizes 5" & 4 1/2".

https://www.toolstation.com/syphon-...MIyu6FqZqb6gIViLbtCh3lSgzjEAQYAyABEgJ75PD_BwE
View attachment 197085

The height of the syphon in your pic is 8 1/2 inches.

Which is likely to be easier for a DIYer. Replacing the siphon or replacing the diaphram. Do you have to take the siphon out to replace the diaphram?

I didn't know the 8½ on the siphon related to its height. So do I need to find one of the same height as the one in this link is 9 inches high.

Would this be too high. If yes, any suggestion where I can find an 8½ inch high siphon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back