Replacing standard light switch with dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would be grateful if someone could advise me on what to do here.

I have a standard on/off single light switch. Have upgraded the ceiling fitting to a LED one and would like to remove standard wall switch and put in a dimmer. I have got a
Varilight V-Pro 1-Gang 2-Way LED Dimmer Switch.

But when I took the back off of the single switch, I found more than I was expecting. It seems it also powers a ceiling ventilation switch on the same wall.

Here is what it currently looks like on the back of the single switch:
Screenshot-2020-07-04-at-16-14-24.png

And this is what I have to play with on my new switch:
Screenshot-2020-07-04-at-16-14-33.png

Can anyone advise me on the best way of wiring this?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Is there just one light operated by this switch?

You will need to put the three neutral blue wires in a separate connector block not connected to anything else.
That is all the N Loop connector on your present switch does.

Then put the two browns in the wavy line symbol terminal, and the single brown in L1.

Is there just one light operated by this switch?

You will need to put the three neutral blue wires in a separate connector block not connected to anything else.
That is all the N Loop connector on your present switch does.

Then put the two browns in the wavy line symbol terminal, and the single brown in L1.

Just one light, it is just a bedroom, nothing fancy, single light and then looks to be another fan control switch on same wall for if you want to extract the air out of the room. There is also an isolator switch up high which turns the extractor fan off if you need to use it. Not too sure what the point of it is. But in answer to your question, just one single light in this room.
Would your instructions still apply?

Sponsored Links
Are your lights suitable for dimming and is the dimmer compatible with them?
Yup, it is an LED dimmer with suitable wattage, rather than the cheap £5 ones you can get and all of the 10 leds are dimmable which are in the fitting.

There are 2 brown outputs. Is one for the light and one for the fan? If so you can't operate the fan through the dimmer. Perhaps you have not tried yet.

There are 2 brown outputs. Is one for the light and one for the fan? If so you can't operate the fan through the dimmer. Perhaps you have not tried yet.
Wrong.
The dimmer output needs to trigger the fan.
A dimmer output can do this. Mine does with no problem.

I think it is a looped supply.

Me too

Out of interest I replaced filament bulbs with leds on some 2 bulb wall lights. There are 6 of them with independent switches fed via a dimmer. Thought I'd try the existing dimmer. Works fine with a 5w in each even with just one wall light on = 10w load. They wont dim as much as filament bulbs but I expected that. The dimmer is nothing special and has been there for 20 years I know about.

Hi, fan works independently of switch, have had no issues @ajohn, not too sure what could be causing that, seems very odd.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back