Resin-Coated Shower Trays

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently been looking at buying a new shower tray, but note that most now have a smooth surface to stand on whereas my previous tray was rippled.
My question relates to people’s experiences of these modern trays, in particular with regard to whether they are found to be dangerously slippy, or are absolutely fine and comparable to the older style trays?
I know about anti-slip trays, but these are not best-suited for this particular installation and so I’m only really interested in hearing about the smooth-topped trays.
If you’ve got one and have a couple of minutes, please do let me know how you get on with it. TIA

Sponsored Links
They're fine. I've fitted loads and never had any complaints. If the customer is unsteady on their feet than a Mira Flight Safe or similar might be appropriate, but for most people the standard smooth surface trays present no problems

They're fine. I've fitted loads and never had any complaints. If the customer is unsteady on their feet than a Mira Flight Safe or similar might be appropriate, but for most people the standard smooth surface trays present no problems

That’s really useful to know and I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

The tray is going into a three-sided recess and trying to change it down the line would cause major damage and be a serious pain in the butt. Hence, I really need to get this right first time. I did wonder, as a get out of jail card, about these aftermarket anti-slip liquids, should I not feel safe on the thing. Have you any experience of those by any chance? I wonder about how well they stand up to years of usage and whether they would likely yellow!?

I installed a Mira flight a few years ago. Its surface is smooth and both of us have never felt unsafe despite being in our 70’s, I don't recall it being one of the “safe” models either.

Sponsored Links
I put a smooth one in about 8 years ago- no problems with it being slippery or feeling unstable (nearly 61 now :( ).
Be careful what waste you pick- the one I fitted projects slightly (5mm) above tray height, which is really annoying.
EDIT No yellowing on this one either.

I installed a Mira flight a few years ago. Its surface is smooth and both of us have never felt unsafe despite being in our 70’s, I don't recall it being one of the “safe” models either.

Thanks for your response, which is warmly appreciated. You would know if you had a Mira Safe (i believe), as they have a surface that is like mild sandpaper. At least that is what the JT trays are like and so I assume that Mira are the same.

Yes I'd describe the Safe model surfaces as being like mild sandpaper. They're a bit of a bu99er to keep clean as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back