Restarting a long dormant car

Any belts will be stiff with age by now and it's a good idea to replace them. However -timing belt excluded -(if there is one ) won't stop you experimenting with the start up.
Watch for the oil pressure lamp going out when you crank the engine over.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks.. i do intend to take it for a full service before the new mot so would i be saving much money changing belts myself as i imagine some of them are probably a pita to change?

I really don't know how many belts are involved, but I would think yours has a timing chain which is a bonus.
So - you need to get it running where it is, or contact a firm which will transport the car to a garage.
I'd guess you have a new battery ready?
John :)

Yeah.. i just put the new battery in. As you say I need to get it running to a point i can drive to Halfords for a service. The stuff already discussed prob has to be done to achieve that plus i'm interested to get experience but maybe belts and any other bits are left well enough for the service?

Sponsored Links
I was just trying to avoid getting ripped off really.. i'll have to get a good local recommendation

IIRC all the E30 models had chains until about the facelift in 1988, where the 1.8 changed to a belt. I could be wrong tho, it's been a long time since I owned one.

OP mentions a turbo. Confusing. I assumed it was petrol engined. I wonder if it would fire using some Easy Start?

It is petrol.. does that mean it won't be
OP mentions a turbo. Confusing. I assumed it was petrol engined. I wonder if it would fire using some Easy Start?

Ignore that.. i meant the injectors :)

Sponsored Links
Back