rewire or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have been using this forum since we moved house,and took on a complete internal rebuild :( it didn't look that bad when we viewed it,honest :LOL:

well,I am contemplating having the house wired,the reasons are as follows

1: some rooms only have one socket the hall doesn't have one at all ,and there are holes in the walls where extension leads have been run through,to get power there. :(

2: The whole ring main is on one breaker in the fusebox.

3: The lighting circuit is also on one breaker in the fusebox.not so much of a problem as all the room just had a single bulb,but most have 3 or more now.I know the upper and lower floors could be separated easy enough.

4: the fusebox is an old one with only a few breakers in it,so will obviously need updating.

5: The wiring circuit is wired up a bit wierd as sometimes there is just a sheathed single red core wire to the switch,or to the light/switch in the next room,maybe this was just a quick/lazy of wiring up.

The wires in the house are all relatively new looking twin & earth,as all the old wiring was still up in the loft.I replaced all the upstairs lighting circuit when I moved in as I re-positioned all the lights.

6: The ground floor is concrete,so I realise all the wires will probably run through the floor boards of upstairs and drop down the walls to the sockets.

7;there are currently two 500watt outside lights up and sometimes they are both on together,with some of the house lights :eek: I am removing these lights and these are getting replaced with something a little smaller and more effecient.

8: after a year and most of the walls bare,I am in the ideal position to get it rewired,but have I any more cost friendly options.I would be looking at helping out as much as possible to keep costs down,and to learn a bit in the process...

I have only had one quote,and this was for £2,500,and this didn't include plastering the chasing out,after the wires had been laid.

I have found this forum a wealth of knowledge especially in the electrical department,and has helped me out on numerous occaisions :D

P.S will all the sockets go at the new required heights now or could I keep them at the height they are at now?

;) Darren

Sponsored Links
It is always a good idea to rewire. I say that because that's what I do. ;)

It is impossible to comment on your quote without seeing the project, but it doesn't sound unduly high.

As for you helping out, this would increase my quote because you'd be in my way, but if you were to chop out all the boxes for switches and sockets and then get a quote you might save a day's labour charge.

New heights? Not mandatory for a rewire, but your local building inspector may believe otherwise. So use a registered electrician, who does not need to involve building control.

DIYDarren said:
a complete internal rebuild
Where your rewire is part of a complete refurbishment, as opposed to an isolated project in a building, the full weight of Builduing Regs will apply where appropriate - that includes socket heights etc.

Depending on what you've done so far it is possible you should have already involved the LABC anyway.

Didthat hurt, sorry I have to dispute your comment re socket heights.
This is building regs part M and this only applies to new buildings. Not rewires, not refurbs not extensions.

If that were the case the householder would have to apply all parts of document M for a refurb and that would include all of the access issues, size of doors into toilets downstairs, etc etc as well as heights of sockets & switches.

Sponsored Links
I don't give prices that are reduced for other parties electrical labour or materials.
The labour reason- I have wall chasers; grinders; channeling equipment; other power tools I have paid for, so I have already included them in my business costs. These things make plastering easier and reduce general building disturbance, thus making plastering cheaper.
Also it takes longer to re-do things (if a socket is wraggled in wrong, or a box of the wrong depth is used then it can double the original time).

The materials question- if a customer supplies materials and they are faulty then there is additional labour costs to the customer. If I supply the stuff I use stuff with a proven track record (not usually the cheapest brand) all the hassle is taken by me at no extra cost.

As I understand it, Building Regs do not apply to a rewire, but if you're stripping the place, maybe they do. Ask your council for advice.

I belive they apply in the case of a major refurb where the building is completely gutted.

plugwash said:
I belive they apply in the case of a major refurb where the building is completely gutted.

They apply if you put a mains powered smoke detector in an existing flat :eek:

Building Regs apply to many things but some are limited to new. If I read my Electricians Guide to the Building Regs page 129 (Building regs Part M) says " ............. Building regulations Part M applies to all new buildings......

If it applied to old buildings we would all have to install wheelchair access and bigger doors in our downstairs toilets when we fitted that smoke alarm. And move the positions of the sockets and light switches

TTC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back