Rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The survey I've recently had done on the house I'm buying suggested the wireing and fuse box are old and should be updated, so rather than pay for a PIR I went and had a look and the surveyor was correct the fuse box is an old brown wylex unit from the 1960's there is a mixture of blackrubber, cloth covered and more modern grey pvc wire (possibly done when the extension was built)and nearly all the sockets are mounted in the skirtings. Is it resonable to say the house should be completely rewired with new split load consumer unit etc because the vendor doesn't believe me when I told him what needs to be done. He's under the impression that if every thing works then it's fine, I tried in vane to explain about current regulations but he's not interested. I even told the guy I could do the work (16th edition qualified building control informed etc)at much reduced cost to him but he's not interested, I think he's being unreasonable, what do you think. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If you're thinking of buying the house, offer him what you think it's worth.

Once it is yours you can rewire it to your heart's content.

If someone else thinks it is worth more, let them buy it.

pay for a PIR - then show the guy the report, and tell him you're going to make an offer based on the cost of the PIR and cost of remedial work (ie. rewire)

The vendor is selling the property and has no obligation to do any work before he sells it. Why do you think he should pay you to rewire the house for him? If you want the house make him an offer. If he accepts it's yours and you can then do what you want.

Sponsored Links
You make an offer on the state of the place, if the seller says, 'its priced as it is due to the state of wiring, (or it could be the garden, or whatever). Its up to you how much you want the place.
Isnt that what all buyers do make an offer based on there needs relating to the state of the place.

No vendor is ever going to do work on his property on the basis of a report produced by a potential buyer, unless he's getting the same message over and over again, and no offers.

Don't commission a PIR - it's money down the drain.

If you're thinking of buying the house, offer him what you think it's worth.

Once it is yours you can rewire it to your heart's content.

If someone else thinks it is worth more, let them buy it.

Thanks for the comments,but not sure if some fully understood my point,basically the house in my opinion needs a rewire but obviously when you have a first look at a house you don't start poking around in someones electrics so you cant really tell. There were some signs of old electrics when we looked at the house but you can't assume a rewire is required becauase of this. It was only when the surveyor pointed out in his report that the electrics were old and needed a closer inspection I decided to have a look. I was trying to do the vendors a favour and save them the extra they would have to pay someone independant. I cant see the point of paying out for a PIR for him to say "yeah you were right it needs a rewire" what a waste of time and money that would be. I suggested I could do the work at a much reduced cost,a rewire in this area would be at least £3000. As usual in this type of situation people become suspicious and think they are being ripped off but all I was doing was trying to save us both time and money.

But he thinks you are trying to pull a fast one? I take it you trying to use this to talk his price down but he won't budge? If you want the property as has been said before make an offer of what you think its worth, if it is accepted fair enough, if it isn't then it is your decision to either make another offer or walk away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back