Rewiring this light socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I forgot to take a photo before pulling it through the wall. Annoyingly.

e1dgete.jpg

This is a two-switch socket (upstairs/downstairs lighting). So the cable coming from the top is no problem as that's the ceiling for the top floor. It's the two coming from the bottom that I'm a bit confused with.

I assume one goes to the switch downstairs, which would make sense as it's 3 core+e. But what about the other one? I assumed there's be a 2 core+e going to the downstairs lights but I guess that doesn't happen. Does it go to a junction box somewhere? If so I haven't been able to find it. Although I don't have access under any floor.

Anyway, can anyone please shed some light on how this should be wired back into a 2-switch socket?

Sponsored Links
Is there a two way switch for the upstairs light? I would guess one of the 3C&E is actually for the same light controlled by the T&E but we need more info.

Sponsored Links
With new switches labelled Com L1 and L2, cable to left will go to L1 and L2 on one of the switches, the other two cables need wiring same as other end, so open up the other two way switch at other end of cable and wire like for like.

The problem is working out which three core and earth is which, I would temporary fit a junction block on the two core and earth cable, and wire the three core and earth to match other end, find out which switch does not work, then add the two core and earth to the switch which does not work.

two-way-real.bmp
Circuit diagram of two way switching so you can see what you are doing, I am assuming both switches were two way?

I forgot to take a photo before pulling it through the wall. Annoyingly.
So now you are going to have to find out what they all are.

Basically you're going to have to choose between Plan A and Plan B.

PLAN A:
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.
There are some irresponsible people here who will tell you that there is a Plan C, which is to start trying different things without really knowing what's going on, hoping to get it working by luck, or by blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without any idea as to why. Please don't listen to them - you must know what, and truly understand what, you are doing.

Electrical-installation-by-guesswork is a foolish idea.

There is no Plan C for anybody sensible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back