RGi's Worrying event

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story, try to keep short.

Install a boiler 1st week new year, met agent got keys, did work posted keys through door. Job done all L/C.
Get call today, Transco been out cut it off due to gas leak, advised decorators in property so drive 10 miles + congest charge + London parking.
Met at prop by Mr Lexyzpertchoffski the decorator. Reconnect outside meter look in flat on first floor and 1 hob ring is on low. Turn off ring carry out tests, sound as a pound. Ask decorator when Transco called, he shrugs "no understand" and gives me Transco calling card.

This is the scarry bit.

They were called at 6 o'clock sunday night by the flat above, as they couldn't gain entry and were obviously getting readings they turned off at meter box. And posted calling card.

How long had hob been on and if it had gone bang, Guess who I reckon would have got the blame.

Firts thing in the morning I'm buying a fancy electronic manometer with bluetooth printer/readout and somone will have to witness test and sign copy of print out.

Sponsored Links
i know you must have been p1ssed at having to go back but if you buy an electronic manometer and printer do you think it would stop the call or you going back because you are conciencous?
we use testo 325's and can tightness test and print receipts out but a lot of the guys still use water manometer "just because"
the decorator is just like a customer called you/transco because the card said so, when the agent called you your best plan would be to say of course i will come and check my work but i want you there as well and if it is my leak i will pay for your time and if it isn't you will pay for mine, you know your work is sound so the likelyhood it will be someone elses fault, and if once every blue moon if it is your fault (we are not perfect, but all these call backs we get are mostly down to someone else who then shrugs and says oh well at least you have checked it again and we know it is safe) and you pay him it will be a good reminder for you to never let it happen again

similar thing last week.

me and a mate installed a boiler,well,he did i just put it on a new circuit.two days later we got a call from the council.theres been a fire in the kitchen involving a gas appliance.tenant is going to the papers and wont let anyone in.this has gone bad we thought,really bad.just a case of sitting and waiting as council niceic man went round with some corgi bloke,both wanting proof of quals and the certs.in short we were crapping it,wondering why though as we always do a nice job.

turns out the junkie bitch was using a camping gaz stove to cook up some crack and it exploded,burning out the kitchen.immediatly vindicated,lost sleep over that one so i know where your coming from

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. I do like the you pay/I pay angle, I expect that would work on a lot of stupid call backs.
Got a testo, can sleep easier now, at least I have a bit of proof in the event.
Told another RGi the tale, and he said "wouldn't worry they (HSE/Corgi investigators) would have tested carcass anyway" I tried to explain that if it had gone bang the carcass would have been spread across a couple of sq miles of west London.
Daytona, hope never to be in the situation you suffered, it must have been absolutly horrendous. There must have been lots of sleepless night all round. Did anyone offer an apology.
All the best

John

Sponsored Links
Its part of the job to expect nuisence calls from time to time.

Particularly if you do installation work for builders or landlords.

However, if you had gone on public transport with a bag of toold it would have been much cheaper and quicker!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back