Richard Whiteley

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
D

david and julie

Very sad news tonight about the premature death of Richard.

I have watched and enjoyed Countdown(when I'm home early enough) for years. Countdown was the first programme shown on channel 4 and it is an institution really. I just couldn't imagine who could replace him.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I watched him in November 1982..........

Also sad is the death of Paul Winchell.

Before you all say, "Who?", he was best known as the voice of Tigger.

"T", "I", "double G", "ER"....."Huhuhuhoo!!"

A genial chap always welcome in my lounge of an afternoon.

Times wrote:
Times said:

Esther Rantzen, who had been drafted in to replace Mr Whiteley during his illness, described him as irreplaceable. "He was just one of those people who made you smile," she said. "Although he was a very bright man, he wore his considerable brain in a very English, unassuming, modest way."

Nicely put ...

P

Sponsored Links
Yep! I agree with above, I thought he was a decent chap and wonder if he was a victom of unclean hosibital.

Even if you didn't like the show at first you were soon hooked because of his personality. Countdown won't be the same without Richard, if indeed it can continue.

Well, one thing's for sure: he would have wanted it to continue.

"Twice-nightly Whitely", as he referred to himself when contending on a quiz-show :LOL: (was it "Have I Got News For You?" or was it "Shooting Stars"?)

That's a real shame. I always enjoyed Countdown, and it is the only gameshow where you can join in at home actively rather than just slobbing back in your seat and answering half the questions out loud. I think this is because of it's unique design in that there is no "right" or "wrong" answer, only a best answer.

How pleased do you feel when you make a word bigger than either of the contestants' words? :D Or when you get the maths problem spot on and they are 3 away from the answer?

AdamW said:
That's a real shame. I always enjoyed Countdown, and it is the only gameshow where you can join in at home actively rather than just slobbing back in your seat and answering half the questions out loud. I think this is because of it's unique design in that there is no "right" or "wrong" answer, only a best answer.

How pleased do you feel when you make a word bigger than either of the contestants' words? :D Or when you get the maths problem spot on and they are 3 away from the answer?

Absolutely agree. I notice it's been replaced with a different programme today on channel 4. I'm not sure that's the right decision, as a tribute I would have thought they could have run to the end of what they have pre-recorded...

ninebob wrote,

Absolutely agree. I notice it's been replaced with a different programme today on channel 4. I'm not sure that's the right decision, as a tribute I would have thought they could have run to the end of what they have pre-recorded...
Apparently they stopped todays programme as a mark of respect but will be showing the last ones he recorded, from tomorrow. There is also to be a special programme about Richard on Friday next.

The bad news: Richard died of pneumonia: the good news being pneumonia is a nine letter word and uses all the vowels.

Don't really like sick jokes, but having heard plenty of Richards over the years, I am sure its the type he would of said. Still don't think they could ever replace him though and don't see how the show can survive without him either. He was the show!

mmmmm i dont like sick jokes either or jokes in bad taste :cry: :cry:
buttt i think he would be laughing his head off as that would apeal to his sence off humour [and mine :LOL: :LOL: ]god rest his groany jokes he never had a bad word about any body a good man

The good die young, and 61 is not old. Was a sad day indeed

Todays countdown conundrum....

BOARDSTIFFASA..... :rolleyes:

Came across as really nice genuine bloke...a sad loss...R.I.P

Sponsored Links
Back