Riello oil burner problem

Sponsored Links
If the Photocell on a riello is faulty, or the solenoid, or if the motor is not kicking out 50Vac on the White, the burner will purge forever ands a day!
:idea: Change the B****y Photocell.

P.S You can test the theory, by unplugging the cell from the control box and refitting the box without the cell you should then get Purge 12secs Flame Light 5secs followed by Lock-out, this will prove that the yes youv'e guessed it, the photocell is unbelievebly, FAULTY :!:

if the electrodes or electrode leads are faulty then the control box will continue to allow the motor to run for hours. it does on the reillos fitted to camray 3s. probably does on most

If the Photocell on a riello is faulty, or the solenoid, or if the motor is not kicking out 50Vac on the White, the burner will purge forever ands a day!
:idea: Change the B****y Photocell.

P.S You can test the theory, by unplugging the cell from the control box and refitting the box without the cell you should then get Purge 12secs Flame Light 5secs followed by Lock-out, this will prove that the yes youv'e guessed it, the photocell is unbelievebly, FAULTY :!:
Boilerman2
I'm sure with your greater experience you're probably right. Are you saying that the fault can never be in the control box? :confused: It's been working for a day now with the old Photocell and a replacement control box.

Sponsored Links
It could be either one or both. Changing one may make it work, but how near to failing is it?

Do the Maths! Photocell £5-65, Control Box £65... Which would you try first, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

A decent
Engineer would have a cell a box a coil and a motor on his van so all this pillocking around would be avoided, how long has this franky simple fault been going on for now? my customers would have exploded by now you are very lucky to have a very patient one!!

Do the Maths! Photocell £5-65, Control Box £65... Which would you try first, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

A decent
Engineer would have a cell a box a coil and a motor on his van so all this pillocking around would be avoided, how long has this franky simple fault been going on for now? my customers would have exploded by now you are very lucky to have a very patient one!!

Boilerman2
Maths done :)
It is my house :D If it was winter I would have gone 4 miles to our workshop on Sunday. I knew someone would be coming here on Monday, he brought some old kit we had, being peasants we never throw anything away.
Tried changing coil and PE cell to no effect. Try old rough looking control box it works :eek:. Job done before 9a.m. :D
Why are you paying so much for parts when I get them from Scotland, delivered next day for less :?: . Will fit them when/if needed. After all it's only a boiler, not rocket science :!:

I hope you didn't think i was going to Quote you Trade Price for parts silly boy! :rolleyes:

I hope you didn't think i was going to Quote you Trade Price for parts silly boy! :rolleyes:
Neither did I think you would have told me how much you would charge to come out on a Sunday to do such a simple job :)

Hi,
My answer comes late, but ... the question why the Riello coil has three wires remained unanswered. And google directed me here in search of this question.
So maybe still this information can be useful...
The coil gets 29 V DC at ignition, switching to 3 Volts during run. The coil has two tappings; the first to use the full coil potential to CLOSE the valve, then reduced voltage to hold it there.
Btw, my google search was how I got to know this website and I'm very glad I found it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back