Right tool to cut half partition wall lower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My kitchen has a ~8cm wide partition half wall with metal stud work.

We want to cut it lower and then add an oak topper down the wall from the ceiling along the top then down to the floor. We've been quoted £1500 which I think is a mental price.

My question is... what the heck kind of a tool do you recommend I use to cut it down lower?

I'm sure with the right tools and a few pints I can own this.

Attachments

• IMG_20220427_133052.jpeg
    IMG_20220427_133052.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20220427_133103.jpeg
    IMG_20220427_133103.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 80
Sponsored Links
Many ways to skin a cat, but assuming thats just plasterboard and studwork, Id mark out with a pencil and level or laser and then use a decent oscillating multitool.

Thanks for the reply. Yes it's just plasterboard and metal studwork (shame its not wood). I've actually got a decent reciprocating saw but I fear trying to cut it all off at once is a bad shout.

Maybe just cutting the plasterboard off at the right hight is best first then tackled what's behind it after.

Sponsored Links
Are you happy you will be able to stiffen it up again after cutting out the top section of metal? Remember it has to be self-supporting which is asking a lot of a hollow wall. Wonder whether you could rivet some herringbone type struts in from above
If I were going to cut the metal I'd use cordless angle grinder but I wouldn't buy one specially. They are handy though. Careful you don't cut through any cables.

Are you happy you will be able to stiffen it up again after cutting out the top section of metal? Remember it has to be self-supporting which is asking a lot of a hollow wall. Wonder whether you could rivet some herringbone type struts in from above
If I were going to cut the metal I'd use cordless angle grinder but I wouldn't buy one specially. They are handy though. Careful you don't cut through any cables.
Thanks yes it will need stiffening I think. I have an angle grinder but need to buy a multi tool and maybe a laser level too.

Thanks!!

Thanks yes it will need stiffening I think. I have an angle grinder but need to buy a multi tool and maybe a laser level too.

Thanks!!
Just to avoid doubt: I wouldn't use a full-blown beast, just one you can comfortably hold in 1 hand with a ~5 inch (metal cutting) blade

Angle grinder. LOL

Add a vacuum and a box of feather dusters to your shopping list
You should have seen the mess I made when I cut the quartz counter top hole bigger for the induction hob with the angle grinder. It's still in every orifice 18 months later.

Angle grinder. LOL

Add a vacuum and a box of feather dusters to your shopping list
If you're going to totally misrepresent what I wrote in plain English why stop with the angle grinder? Why not pretend I advised bashing a hole in the wall with the wheel brace of a Rover 2000 and packing the void with thermite before dropping a catherine wheel down there whilst singing My Way?

If you're going to totally misrepresent what I wrote in plain English why stop with the angle grinder? Why not pretend I advised bashing a hole in the wall with the wheel brace of a Rover 2000 and packing the void with thermite before dropping a catherine wheel down there whilst singing My Way?
Chill. You were not even quoted. Paranoia much? :cautious:

You should have seen the mess I made when I cut the quartz counter top hole bigger for the induction hob with the angle grinder. It's still in every orifice 18 months later.
I'll see your angle grinder, and raise you a router, worktop joints and 24 months two storeys. :whistle:

Just to avoid doubt: I wouldn't use a full-blown beast, just one you can comfortably hold in 1 hand with a ~5 inch (metal cutting) blade

Don't think a DIY forum is good place to tell people it's ok to use one handed, someone on here a few years ago died in an accident with a grinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back