Ring main Or Radial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a very small cottage that I am going to renovate which will include a total rewire (yet to find lecky)and replumb. Currently the kitchen is a very small galley type and will have only a 2m wall that I could have sockets put on, Just two double sockets will be all that I can get on this wall,but in approx 4 years I will have a savings plan that will mature and would want to use it for a kitchen extension.Therefore, is it best to have the sockets in the kitchen at the moment run as a ring?(thinking about the extension in 4 years time,which will triple the floor area) or a radial circuit?The other wall opposite the one I would want to put sockets on, as got room only, for a sink unit and a free standing gas cooker (as I said very small! :( ) But it does have a back porch approx 1 1/2 m square where I can put the washer for now. ;)

Thanks in advance, for any info.

Sponsored Links
You could put the kitchen on a small ring of it's own, which could be extended later on.

Or, you could run two radials to the kitchen, which could later be joined up into a ring later, and altered at the consumer unit to suit.

You don't even have to have a ring, you could consider one or more 4 mm2 32 amp radial circuits.

You should think about other circuits you may want in the kitchen later on, like a cooker circuit for example.

I would go for the 4mm radial, it will be easier to extend on to at a later date.
But I doubt it will be to much of a concern, as you will find when you extend your kitchen, you will design it totaly different and end up forming new circuits anyway.

Sponsored Links
It may be worth running a sub main to the kitchen if it is far away from the supply so you havent got to tear through your renovated house in 4 years time to feed all the gadgets and gizmo's you hadn't even dreamed about having at the moment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back