Ring or Radial

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Rings for me

Ring mains are single fault tolerant, keeps all the sockets working and avoids the following dangerous situation

Radial with four sockets. Socket furthest from consumer unit is used for a 2 Kwatt kettle. Socket nearest consumer unit is in an seldom occupied office and is only used for a cordless telephone's wall wart transformer.

First sign of trouble was the kettle was taking longer to boil and the blue light seemed to be flickering.

Then the cordless phone handset stopped working. Get the key for the office to use the phone. Strange smell in office and the phone's power lamp is not lit. The phone's wall wart will not come out of the socket.

Not yet confirmed but my hunch is there is a loose connection at the back of that socket and the socket has been wrecked by over heating as 8 amps for the kettle tries to get through the bad connection.

With a ring circuit that single fault would not have damaged the socket. It would have gone un-detected if no routine testing was done but it would not have created a hazard.

So it would have remained a high resistance join which may well have failed in the ten years until the next inspection in which time the join could become open circuit leaving the OCPD over sized.

Rings for me

Ring mains are single fault tolerant, keeps all the sockets working and avoids the following dangerous situation
And creates the possibility for a N or L break to make the circuit into 2 radials with inadequate overload protection.

First sign of trouble was the kettle was taking longer to boil and the blue light seemed to be flickering.
So you're saying that there were clear signs that something was wrong and these were simply ignored.

And that a circuit design which supports that kind of tw*ttish behaviour by the users is a good one.

FFS. :rolleyes:

With a ring circuit that single fault would not have damaged the socket. It would have gone un-detected if no routine testing was done but it would not have created a hazard.
You have absolutely no grounds for saying that. A high-resistance connection can always overheat, and you want to use a circuit design which will mask the presence of a high-resistance connection because you think it's a good idea to mask it.

You have absolutely no grounds for saying that. A high-resistance connection can always overheat,

A high resistance joint wil only overheat if there is current flowing through it. With a radial there is no alternative route. The joint will over heat.

and you want to use a circuit design which will mask the presence of a high-resistance connection because you think it's a good idea to mask it.

Where did I say it was a good idea to mask it. ?

If you read with an open mind what I wrote you may see what was meant. It was meant that it is a good idea to design a circuit where a single fault will not create a hazard even if that fault is not immediately noticed.

1) But they aren't.

2) They never are.

3) Have you read 433.1.5?

[1] A ring in 2.5 with a 20 Amp MCB

[2] Have you inspected every installation with a ring final.

[3] Not in detail, does it in any way stipulate that a final ring must have an MCB rated too high for a single leg of the cable used ?

If the answer to [3] is yes then the rules are stupid or being mis-interpreted. Like the "electrician" who would not wire a final in 4 mm because the design said that 2.5 mm was the "correct" size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back