Rishi delivers.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I think a little in-depth analysis and comparison is called for:
UK inflation, as measured by the CPI, was 6.7% in the year to September, unchanged from August. UK inflation peaked at 11.1% in October 2022.
In Germany, inflation is provisionally estimated as 3.0% in October, down from 4.3% in September.
In France, inflation is provisionally estimated as 4.5% in October, down from 5.7% in September.
But there is a limit to how much credit ministers can take for the fall as energy prices settle.
Economists have said the main reason inflation has fallen from a peak of 11.1% in October 2022 is due to fall in the energy price cap, which limits what suppliers can charge consumers per unit of energy.
They also credit the Bank of England's decision to raise interest rates.

Grant Fitzner, chief economist at the Office for National Statistics (ONS), said: "Inflation fell substantially on the month as last year's steep rise in energy costs has been followed by a small reduction in the energy price cap this year."
He said food prices were "little changed" in October,

So the reduction in inflation appears to have little to do with government policy.

I previously posted (can't quote the post; thread locked?)

This inflation thing - specifically, Rishi's and Jeremy's "we're gonna do this to inflation" rhetoric - at best leaves me uncomfortable.

Unless a complete basketcase banana republic economy (which we're not quite at, yet) inflation is self-limiting; it was never going to run away, not in a mature and (relatively) stable, first world economy..

Sunak and Hunt will be claiming credit.
Which will be like claiming credit for the sun rising each morning.

;)

On his pledge to halve inflation by the end of the year. Smashed it. The man is as good as his word.

you mean his prediction came true

Sunak had nothing to do with lowering inflation.

inflation has dropped because of 2 factors:

1) downward pressure on prices due to falling energy prices
2) rising global interest rates

Inlftation hasnt halved

core inflation Dec 2022 6.3%
core inflation Oct 2023 5.7%

Sponsored Links
Back