Rising main query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bit of a follow on from a previous Q regarding an extension...
... if i have an extension built I will need to have the rising main moved sooo would I need to dig up the pipe right make to where it joins the main feed (and where my water meter is) back in the road or is it possible to connect old pipework ( I have no idea how old but know it is buried under 45 foot of a concrete pathway :eek: ) to a new rising main in what would be the new bathroom.

The current pipework would basically need to be reduced by 2 metres and a new connection put on to make a rising main.

On a tangent - is it possible to reduce pressure from the mains before it enters the house?

Cheers,
Heidi

Sponsored Links
you should have a stopcock in the street or at the front of your house somewhere this will allow you to shut off the water, then just cut and extend the pipe to the relevant position, using the relevant connectors

On a tangent - is it possible to reduce pressure from the mains before it enters the house?

Cheers,
Heidi

Yes it is. Fit a pressure reducing valve on the rising main internally. The valve can then be set to whatever pressure is appropriate for your needs. (any pressure below the maximumum available that is)

Thanks,

The wate does indeed turn off in the street - i just wasn't sure whether connectors existed to marry up old pipework with new pipework.

cheers,

Heidi

Sponsored Links
they sure do there is just about everything available to connect virtualy anything you are likely to find to any thing.

If you want to turn the water pressure down, just adjust the stopcock - turn the stopcock clockwise until you get your desired water pressure. Just be careful if you have a combination boiler as this requires around 1-1.5 bar of water pressure.

Regards

If you want to turn the water pressure down, just adjust the stopcock - turn the stopcock clockwise until you get your desired water pressure. Just be careful if you have a combination boiler as this requires around 1-1.5 bar of water pressure.

Regards

That will control flow, but not pressure. If you need to control pressure you need to fit a pressure reducing valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back