roads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i cannot understand why manholes are not on the pavements.i am sick of being bounced around whenever i go into any large town.the same goes for dug up roads.they always sink.what are our taxes paying for.not this pile of crap i know

Sponsored Links
bobski said:
what are our taxes paying for.not this pile of rubbish i know
Don't be daft, since when did our government spend money on roads? When roads are dug up, it is usually carried out by one of the utility companies. So it's your gas/electricity/water/telephone charges paying for this rubbish.

I think AdamW could give you some more details on where your taxes go. I beleive it involves Tai lady boys, dancing girls and alchole. :LOL:

shurly you dont get bounced about by manhole covers just badly fitted ones

and what about the poor pedestrians ;)

If you rode a motorbike you would also have noticed that they are nearly always on bends, exactly on the line you would normally take. It's probably just down to spite on the part of those who install new utility services. I dare say the people who have to go down the manholes would also prefer them on the pavement.

Sponsored Links
I always wondered why they don't put them on pavements. I too found them a problem on two wheels. A particularly badly-surfaced road near my parents' house used to require me to swerve all over the carriageway to get round them, as they were mounted a few inches below the surface. Stupid stupid stupid.

God forbid they should spend money improving roads though, they're saving up to scrape all the paint off, remove kerbs and signs and make it generally more dangerous, remember! :rolleyes:

You used to get manhole covers on pavements for delivery of coal, trouble was they were dangerous especially when wet or covered in ice.
years ago my Mother slipped on one close to home injuring her leg so badly that she had to have a vein removed, The council wouldn't accept any responsibility and did nothing to make safe the manhole which was slightly raised and a trip hazard,she had problems with her leg right up until she died.

What if we all get a Segway? Then we won't have to walk on pavement manhole covers.

DIYers have been blocking up airvents and covering over inspection hatches for years, why can't road resurfacers just tarmac over the manholes? ;)

Ashfalt ? was his brother Saddam in there too ?
Even worse if full of Asphalt -- with double yellows through the middle. ;)

AdamW said:
A particularly badly-surfaced road near my parents' house used to require me to swerve all over the carriageway

That's a good excuse, somebody else should have tried that one!

Sponsored Links
Back